HOW TO: Remove, Clean, and Restore Headlight Lens

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
This will be my 3rd How To for everyone here so i hope i continue to help the great people on this forum.

I am sure many of you have the dreaded yellow, dull, foggy headlight lenses. You can read alllll over the internet about how to sand/buff/and clean the lenses to get the oxidization out of them. I will show you how i removed the lens from the housing to clean the inside as well as restore the outside of the lens. You do NOT have to remove the lens from the assembly if you do not have water inside or the inside is clean! Im not a big fan of chrome. I have the headlights with the chrome rings around them and wanted to change them out for the ones without the chrome. A good friend of mine was scrapping a pickup and i had the opportunity to snag the headlights off of it. Unfortunately these guys had seen better days and one even had the fish tank effect on the inside of the headlight. (water inside the lens) Fear not! There is hope! Green mold had started growing inside the lens. So not only was it yellowish on the outside you could see green on the inside.

You must be registered for see images attach

1) First step is to remove the turn signal lenses from the headlight housing. There are 3 small bolts that hold the turn signal lens on from the back. Remove them and the turn signal lens will come off.

2) This is where it gets fun. There is supposed to be a glue or seal around the plastic lens to keep it sealed. In my case one corner was already broken loose allowing moisture to enter. The lens is best removed with heat and a screw driver. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE LENS. It is a harder plastic and WILL crack. I have read you want to heat up your oven to 200F and lay the headlight assembly on the lowest rack for 3 min. Remove and try to pry the lens from the housing. If it wont come put it back in the oven for 2 more minutes and try again or until the glue gives way. In my case i took a heat gun and worked all the way around the lens until it was fully removed. With the heat gun just keep a distance as to not melt the lens

3) Now that you have the lens in one had and the housing in the other you can clean as needed. I just wiped out the lens with a micro fiber rag as to not scratch the reflective tape.

4) I went to my local auto parts store and looked at shelf full of lens restore kits. There are a MILLION ways to go about this from the kits to buying the individual sandpaper and rubbing compounds. I chose the TurtleWax Headlight Lens Restorer for a couple reasons. It was 8.99 and i did not require any drills or air tools for the sanding pads. Something i could do on this rainy day on my desk. It included 4 sanding pads (1 has a double side), the spray lubricant, the rubbing compound and a lens sealer.

5) You will want to use a screw driver to chip away all the old glue from the housing and the lens. The lens has a groove as you can see that you need to make sure everything is removed from. It really kinds pulled off in big chunks..Not a big deal.

8) Now you will start by just cleaning the lens with soap and water to remove any dirt or mold (in my case) inside and out then dry. Take the spray lube and coat the outside of the lens and the number 1 sanding pad. This pad is what actually sands all the oxidization out of the plastic. You will want to stay on this step as long as possible or until all the yellow is gone keeping the lens and pad wet with the lube...haha..lube..:sly...anyway.. moving on. Once you feel you have got most the gunk out of the plastic repeat the same step with the number 2 pad keeping it wet. Work your way all the way to the 4th pad. (3 is on one side and 4 is on the other of one pad). Then rinse and dry. Take the lens compound and shake well. Apply to a rag and just rub it into the lens. You will see the compound clear the lens then it will have a hazy look to it. Don't worry that is it drying. After it has all dried take a new cloth and whip it all clean. You should now have a clear lens. Most the time you wont have any oxidization or yellowing on the inside of the lens. I do worn you about is using the white compound on the inside of the lens. There are a billion little cracks and crevices that the compound will stick as you can see if the 3rd pic below. You will have to use a toothbrush to get all the compound out of the cracks. After you have whipped it all down just apply the lens sealer and let it cure for at least 24hrs.

6) Now its time to assemble. While i was picking up the kit i looked at the sealants. I found this guy. I figured it would work best because of the groove that the lens sits in. It is by VersaChem part no 75009. It is a windshield and glass sealer. On the back it reads "Dries in one hour to form a resilient, touch, waterproof seal which resists vibration and extreme temperatures. Bonds to glass, metal, PLASTIC, concrete, and rubber." I know headlights produce some "extreme heat" so by "extreme temps" it should last. Making sure everything is good and clean apply the silicone inside the groove in the lens. Then take the light housing and install in on the lens. The lens will only go one way. The top corners are square and the bottom ones are round. Once installed you want to keep pressure on it. lay books on top of the assemble or use some clips to grap the lip all the way around.

7) Once dry re install the corner lights and install back in the truck. Hopefully you wont have any more fish tanks in your headlights and they stay clear!

CHEERS ;Sweet

Another tip that has been posted is to upgrade to the headlight relays which will get all the voltage to the headlight bulbs. Combined with a clear lens can be great!!
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/exterior/headlight_relay.htm

Last edited:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
thats a good article. however I would recommend buying the lmc truck headlight relay as that thing made a HUGE difference for me. plus it could not be easier to install.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not bad;Sweet

you don't have to remove the lens if the seal is intact for those reading this. If the inside is clean leave the lens alone and work it while still installed. tape the area off and wet sand to like 1200 or 1600, plastx and clearcoat with uv protection ;Sweet

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
That is actually a great thing to add to this article. That is one of the better improvements for these trucks. :thumbsup:

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the turtle wax product before, they always seem to haze back up real quickly. I have been thinking of a way to seal the lense from UV before it can yellow back up again. I did mine less than 30 days ago, Already getting a haze again

Great write up tho. I hadnt thought about removing the lense, I just do them in the truck.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i only removed the lens due to the seal already being broken and green crap growing inside.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I have been doing some more research on uv protectant clear coats. The reason most of the over the counter kits such as the turtle wax kit do not last is because during the sanding process you actually sand off the uv coating that's in the plastic from the factory. Or what's left of it anyway. I have found a concauction of chemicals that I will try that will add a uv protestant back into the plastic to keep the lens clear for time to come. Ill keep everyone posted.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice writeup!! ;Sweet

I have been doing some more research on uv protectant clear coats. The reason most of the over the counter kits such as the turtle wax kit do not last is because during the sanding process you actually sand off the uv coating that's in the plastic from the factory. Or what's left of it anyway. I have found a concauction of chemicals that I will try that will add a uv protestant back into the plastic to keep the lens clear for time to come. Ill keep everyone posted.
Have you looked at all into something like 3M's headlight film? It's basically a piece of clear film similar to what's used in window tinting, that's meant to go on the headlight...IIRC they don't sell a variant cut to fit a Ford pickup, but I imagine you could take a bulk roll and cut to fit.

I've seen it at work...my boss had it (and a clear bra) installed on the M-B S550 when the car was purchased new in '06, and the headlights look as good as new after about 60K miles. I'm planning to have the film installed on the Jetta's E-code headlights before I install the lights ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nicely done article alien, very nice. Thanks!

I have used the Turtel wax kit exclusively and I really like the results I get with it. I tend to do what I learned for sanding years ago /////// one diagonal direction with one grit then\\\\\\\ the other direction with the other grit till the first // lines are gone then back to the first ///// with the next finer grits till the \\ lines are gone and so forth.

Then once it's all done, I polish in circles in going

OOOOOOO

then in circles going
O
O
O
O
O

back and forth then up and down...comes from years of fiberglass mould and plug work...LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just made the How to add the UV protectant CHECK IT OUT!

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52839

Both articles are just in time for me, I'll be doing the polish the lens trick this week to all my lenses on the 92 clip whilst I paint the damn thing Khaki for the base of my camo :sly all the surround to the headlight/turn/marker lights will be khaki as well as the grille actually the entire truck is base Khaki pattern to be developed as I go.

So I'll be trying some clearcoat cause here in the Okanagan/Similkameen it is brutal in summer on paint/plastic and lights;Sweet

Thanks again for the writeups