How to get rid of positive camber?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
My 6.9 (orange) truck has a wicked positive camber since the previous owner put in an extra front spring for a snow plow. I dont have the plow or a heavy bumper so the camber is way too much in the positive direction (sits like a baha truck). The problem is excessive wear of the out side edge of the passenger side tire. Should i put in a drop kit for the center pivots or is there something else i can do. Any suggestions from anyone thats had this problem would help. I need to do something cause its eatin tires fast. I have thought of taking the extra springs out but i kinda like the way they level the front end, but i dont like the excessive tire wear. Anybody?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
If it is not more than 2.75 degrees out it can be corrected with a camber/caster adjuster that replaces the one in the upper balljoint.
Ken

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a caster / camber bushing around the upper ball joint stud. The factory ones are not adjustable, but can be made so by cutting off a locating "flange". The aftermarket bushings are nicer that you can turn them with a wrench or socket.

I just dealt with this with a 2wd Ranger that I lifted 2 - 3 inches above stock. I was able to get alignment into spec with the factory bushings after modification.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went through this with my truck after I put an add-a-leaf in the front end. After a little research and some much appreciated help from this site, I was able to fix my tire wear quite easily.

Give the attached link a read, and then pull whatever you have apart and see what you have in there.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23525

Keep in mind that in stock form, the offset bushings are usually used to correct negative camber, however, you can turn that bushing which effectively makes it a fix for positive camber.

I visually read my tire wear as a guide and actually flip-flopped my offset bushings from drivers to passenger side and after checking with a bubble level, they were pretty close. I put my rear tires on the front and after 1500miles I have no significant wear.

IMHO, you should pull yours apart and see what's in there in what clock position as you'll understand what you are trying to correct and might luck out and be able to adjust rather than replace.

Good luck

R. J.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online