how much pressure does the stock lift pump produce?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello,
i am looking for a fuel pressure gauge to mount just before the filter - probably just a mechanical one would do but i need to know what the max pressure the stock lift pump produces so i can find the right gauge.
the reason i want the gauge is because i just finished installing my two-tank wvo system (using one of the stock tanks for wvo, no in-tank heat exchanger) and the gauge could tell me when the filter is getting clogged (if the pressure increases too much) since they clog faster when using wvo, and it could also tell me if the wvo in the tank is too thick for the ambient temp for the pump to move enough of it - in this situation the fuel pressure would drop and i would know to switch back to diesel.
In both cases, the gauge would prevent me from learning the hard way and stalling out on the highway - something i have done enough of when i first converted my 6.2 step van.
So does anyone know the pressure and, can anyone suggest a gauge that is good but not over-the-top in price for this application? (i won't be drag racing this truck or towing very heavy loads or anything like this.)
BTW my wvo conversion cost me the equivalent of 87 gallons of diesel at today's prices - so i think it will pay off quite fast! If enough people pester me i will try to post pics and start a new thread with a list of the parts i used.
Basically, it was hyrdaforce solenoid valve for the feed line ($75), a greasecar valve for the return line ($65 - a little smaller valve since high flow is not needed), a flat plate heat exchanger ($110) and Parker push lock hose ($1.10/ft) and the appropriate push-lock hose barb adapters plus some other fittings, some of which i had around and some i bought. All mods were done after the lift pump, under the hood. I still have to finish the wiring so i have not driven it yet, but i bet this engine will sound really nice on wvo since i know my 6.2 sounds a lot smoother on wvo that on #2.
thanks,
paul

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually we find the lift pump pressures to be anything from 4 to 7 lbs. Nothing more than 7 lbs is required and a higher pressure does change the injection pump timing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin