how much fuel is returned to the tank?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ask this question, because I need to heat the fuel that's in my front tank, and was wondering if I heat it up front before it goes into the motor, how much of the heated fuel will make it back to the tank?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
why are you heating it?

in my veg oil burning truck, I have two, three port FSV's.
both valves operate on a seperate switch. This way I can flip the incoming a few minutes before switching the returns....
my theory is it's better to have a little diesel in your veg oil tank, than a little veg oil in your diesel tank.

Drew

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I'm asking because I start the truck on diesel, then switch over to the front tank, which is usually full of waste oil. And as it has been getting colder out, I'm finding that the waste oil is almost too thick for the fuel pump to keep up with the injection pump, leaving me with a truck that sometimes doesn't like to pull hills, but if the day is just 10 degrees warmer, it flows better by just enough to run fine on 100% straight oil. Big savings in fuel cost department. So i'd like to find a way to heat it so I can continue running it through the winter, without doing the whole running of coolant lines to the tank, and putting a coil inside it. There has to be a more effective way than this. thanks

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can heat the oil with a heating element, or with cooland I use both. Also for Your first question yes a lot of the fuel returns to the tank so what I did to make it more efficient is bypass the return line and if the oil is not hot enough yet then it will use some of the fuel that is already hot, that increaces the temp of the fuel and makes the trip to switch a bit shorter.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 2/3'rds as much flow as when you go take a **** LOL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Staff online