how good is the c6?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That unit won't. That one's meant for the driveshaft to go directly into it. There are versions made that are meant to work with a 4 wheel drive truck, but they are different from the 2WD version (as someone else mentioned, with the U.S. gear unit, it goes between the tranny and the transfer case; GearVendors OD's go behind the transfer case).

Not from the factory. If someone made one aftermarket, I've never heard of it...but, if such a thing exists, I'd be quite curious...even though I haven't owned a C6 since 2002...

A lockup converter isn't going to happen without serious modifications. The lockup clutch is hydraulically applied, which means that you need a seperate hydraulic circuit going into the torque converter. This seperate hydraulic circuit is run through a hollow input shaft which is sealed at both the converter and trans to hold pressure.

I'm sure you could do it with E4OD parts, but by the time you did that you'd be half way to building an E4OD trans.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll throw another vote in for the c6 and GV OD. I have both, but not together, but have ridden in other members trucks that did. I'd sooner have a C6 and a GV, then an E40D. However, if I'm looking to build another Bronco, it's going to have to be a ZF-5, so I can get OD without going with an E40D. Not enough driveshaft length to fit the GV in there.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Who knows what higher power came down to the ford powertrain engineers in the 60s and granted them the C6. The beast made it all the way to '96 behind over 20 different engines, can handle crazy horsepower for cheap, takes a wrath of abuse no problems, and simple for gearheads to rebuild themselves.

Obviously the lack of OD and lockup TC arn't cool, but when the next generation of engineers tried (cough E4ODead cough), didn't quite get it right.

Adrianspeeder

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I like the C6 its pretty tough. I still get decent economy out of mine with the 3.55s on the highway, maybe 16-18mpg, still haven't had it on a LONG road test empty on the highway. With the 4.10s you really will be wishing for that O/D. I was at 3000 RPM at 68mph with the 4.10s, probably 2600 now with the 3.55s

Are you sure? I had 3.54's & cruised @70 showing 2350 on the tach? Just curious.

I had a a C-6 in mine with a gearvendors behind it & it was great. I also had my tranny rebuilt with all the goodies for about 1400.00. That included **** kits in all gears, extra clutches, valve body drilled, some special machining/ drilling to improve cooling, & a severe duty trans cooler up front. On top of all that, it's was covered for 1 year......regardless of how I used it or what I did to it (short of running with no fluid). The shop builds race trannys & develops there own mods. I couldn't hurt it. A more stock rebuild is probably less.

Just as a point of comparision for you, my buddy just grenaded his E4OD & I sent him to the same shop that built my C-6. $2250 for their HD/Performance rebuild on the E4OD. He's been out for 2 nites in a row trying to break it & finally agrees it won't give now.

The gearvendors will give you a 22% reduction in your final drive ratio. Well worth the money especially if you run down the highway alot. They mount behind the t-case & only work in 2WD. But who needs to run 65-70mph in 4WD. You'll be happy with a GV. I got mine off Flea bay for 2250.00