How does the fuel heater connector come off the filter header?

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, on my old girl I don't want to risk cracking the fairly brittle-feeling fuel heater wire connector trying to get it off - I'm replacing the heater and O-ring to kill a nasty leak. Looking at the heater element, it looks like the connector for the wire HAS to come straight up off the connector boss, but mine doesn't want to move when I pry upward gently. Is there a trick I don't know about, or do I just have to force it up?

I'd appreciate words from somebody who has pulled this connector on their IDI!

Thanks,

Jim

(the O-ring was serviced by Ford only as an assembly with the heater - I was in a hurry. If International services the O-ring and somebody has a part number, I'd appreciate you passing it along...)

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Here's a pic if it helps:

You must be registered for see images

Maybe the little ribs are giving you a hard time? If the rubber cap has become hard try warming it with a heat gun.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Should just pull off... isn't really a trick to it that i know of.. Just be nice.

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK - thanks, guys!

Seemed brittle and reluctant enough to come off that I wanted to be sure. I'm certain now that it is just the combination of a hardened connector and the friction of those ribs that is making it a little tough.

Jim