How do you get more whistle?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Are there ways to get more whistle out of a banks or any brand turbo without upgrading to a bigger turbo? If so, how is it done?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If I'm not wrong it is related to the waste gate on it, Wen we did Joe's turbo and test drive it that turbo had a continuous never ending whistle :thumbsup: and I remember Mel saying something about the waste gate wich actually makes sence bc playing with it you can make the turbine move speen faster.

pafixitman

Reaction score
IIRC, Mel said it had to do w/ less bends in the exhaust. The straighter the path, the louder the whistle. And yes, I love mine!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Towcat, no, it's not staight piped. I had been told NO backpressure was a bad thing. I saw this first hand on a buddy's 2002 PSD. Straight piped, it ran like crap but with the muffler ( DPS exhaust system ) it runs great. That's not the case with IDI's?

EZ, my wastegate is opened all the way. No more whistle than before, but about 2.5 lbs more boost.

Budtoh3zo, I got the Banks air cleaner setup as it came with the sidewinder kit. I've looked for an elbow to come off the inlet & a pipe with no luck. Got any pictures or links of what you have?

PA, Sorry I missed the install party. I heard (read) you have "extreme" whistle. Again, what I've got is off the shelf Banks exhaust. 3 or 3.5in if I remember. Should I just trash the muffler or do I need bigger exhaust all the way back?

Thanks for the input guys. Please keep it coming. ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your turbo provides the backpressure needed. I have a very healthy whistle from idle to 2k rpm and then it turns into a roar above that. there is currently a 3.5 in or 4in pipe and i am looking at going larger. Why? above 2k decel it has the "jake brake" sound on decel. That is backpressure induced so I know there is backpressure. a larger dia system will move the issue into a higher rpm range.

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Apextrans, i did opened it up on my 1994 PSD that i sold recently and it did wonders for the whisle, so i was asumming it would work on the IDI, mine is still N/A.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
In that case, I'll pull the muffler & see how it sounds. Budtoh3zo, are you talking about the intake? Wasn't there a thread about modified air intakes?

ramon f350

Reaction score
yep mt 7.3 turbo is straight piped and it has an awesome whistle :hail :hail

Tow cat I have 4" and it still does the jake brake sound on the decel and I think it is cool so I am going to leave it. I have been threatening to put a jake on the truck anyway which would be cool also.

apex pull that muffler and you will have you cool whistle

Ramon

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
At least something to whistle at!

I got more whistle with this! See attachments.

Attachments

• John Air 2.jpg
    John Air 2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 42
  • John Air 1.jpg
    John Air 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 29

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures John. Is that the same air filter from inside the Banks trashcan? Also, what did you do about the cdr valve? Where did you find the 45' elbow?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Carl_F350 said:
I have my 3" exhaust ending in front of my rear tire. The shorter pipe gives a much nicer whistle. ;Sweet

How black is the wheel behind it? LOL I'm going to start with removing the muffler & see what that does. Maybe I'll shorten things up or go bigger diameter later. Thanks for the tip though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor