how do you get a crewcab dually from CA to NY

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Sorry to rain on your parade, but it takes up more than half a trailer, so it's gonna cost full load rate. You won't get auto transporters to touch it, because it's too long for a rack, and too heavy for a wedge.

You're gonna hafta fix it anyway, you'll save money in the long run to fix it out there, and drive it home.

There's no reason that won't fit on a stinger trailer. It will definitely take up 2 position , which you would need to pay for, but it can be done. I've hauled plenty of stretch limos on my trucks before. The longest I've done was a 136" stretch hummer. That truck isn't that long. Of course if it's running, drive the wheels off of it all the way home.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
his brother leapt at the opportunity to come out to kali for a few days.

He'll be riding back in style in that thing ;Sweet

Reason the haulers charge so much for the non runners is that rarely does a single hauler take a vehicle all the way from point A to point B, The way it works is first one picks it up and takes it to a yard and offloads it, then it gets loaded onto another truck with a bunch of cars going in the same general direction, then it gets off loaded at another yard til it can get re grouped with some more cars going closer to where it needs to go, Etc. If it's non op, especially something that big, they charge a premium to have to winch it on and off, plus not all their haulers are equipped to handle non op

I remember when I blew an engine on one of my diesel cars around Buffalo NY it was cheaper to spend over 2 grand to rent a uhaul truck and car trailer to get the thing and me home to Arkansas than it would have been to have the car transported and get a plane ticket.

bushpig7

Reaction score
hello Oilburners

just to update anybody who is interested. The truck is now in Nebraska barreling down I-80. So far, It has been mostly a trouble free trip. my brother had a little bit o' trouble getting the old biodiesel goo worked out of the injection system (as towcat predicted) but it seems to be running better and better with use. He also got a flat today (tires were borderline) . Sure was glad that towcat left us with a spare! Jeff (my brother) picked up a couple of new tires and is back on the road. He plans to go north @ des-moine, Iowa (did I spell that right?) to Saint Paul, minnesota, then east to hook up with I-75 to the Sault. He says the truck seems to be "really powerful" easily passing cars in the mountains in fifth gear. my 89 N/A crew cab would never be described as "really powerful" so the run home from the border will be very interesting. I will try to update If I get the chance in the next couple of days.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Great news, thanks for the update! Where is he crossing back into Canada? Is he coming through Grand Rapids MI? If he would like another spare I would be glad to give you one. It would just cost 10.00 to get it mounted.

Let me know

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dave-
it's good to hear he's doing OK.
I was going to call you tonite to get the status.
you'll like the truck;Sweet
it's a sweet ride.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Good deal;Sweet Nothing like a basically trouble free trip.Especially with an unknown vehicle.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if it's crossing into Canada yet? There was one hell'va lot of storm's from Des Moines to Minneapolis about the time they were going thru there . How about an update Dave.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
talked to him last nite.
It's been in his posession since Sunday nite.
outside of the flat tire, there was no other incidents.
his brother is a very brave guy. untested truck and a long drivecookoo
honestly speaking though, if it wasn't for the fact it ran good when we were looking at it, I wouldn't have recommended for him to buy it.

bushpig7

Reaction score
Ok ...I'm sorry for waiting so long to update everybody. I wanted to ... really. I got called in to work the very next day ( usually my day off) and it hasn't stopped since. this is the first time I have had a chance to sit down at the computer since the truck came home. I can see that Towcat has already filled you in on the fact that the truck is here. I had no trouble at all getting it across the border.
The truck runs VERY well and I think it gets around 20-24 mpg (Canadian Gallons are bigger). My brother says that during the entire trip it never needed any oil. There are a few of the usual things you would expect to find upon purchase of a used vehicle. It has a cracked left rotor, it's missing the top half of the rt rear cab mount (I think oldbull mentioned that) and needs some general TLC. If Things slow down I might get some time to go over it a little more thoroughly. Generally, this truck is in really good shape. Much better than I expected. One thing I wonder about is the way the frame has been extended. I think it has been welded instead of bolted. I don't know if it'll pass in Canada but I'll save that for another thread. Guess I'll have to see. Anyway, thank you to everybody who offered help and advice to assist me in getting the truck home; especially Towcat for "going out on a limb" for me. For myself, this has been a useful learning experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online