How do I run 44's?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I searched here as well as general search of the internet and I can not find any comprehensive write-ups on what clearance someone needs to run a certain size tire. So I ask the pros advice again. What do I need to do in order to successfully run 44's? I eventually will do a DT-360 (3" inducer turbo), Rockwell 2.5T top loader axles, and box the frame. But until then what lift do I need coming from factory height, and what gears do I need to run? I would like to run military LMTV tires.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to specific which front end you have I don't think you can run 44's with ttb but a d60 you could with a 6in lift. Maybe you can with ttb but that's alot of tire a board member has his truck at my house it's an 88 with ttb 3in body lift an looks clears 35's well. My friends 99 powerstroke has 4:10 an 40's 13 in suspension lift. I would think that it would be fine with 4:10 on road an light play any more like deep mud an rocks 4:56 or 5:13 the 5 would be over kill I think unless your competing or somthing.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched here as well as general search of the internet and I can not find any comprehensive write-ups on what clearance someone needs to run a certain size tire. So I ask the pros advice again. What do I need to do in order to successfully run 44's? I eventually will do a DT-360 (3" inducer turbo), Rockwell 2.5T top loader axles, and box the frame. But until then what lift do I need coming from factory height, and what gears do I need to run? I would like to run military LMTV tires.

I'm thinking from some of the questions you need to do A LOT more research. There is a lot more to running that big of tire than just a lift, steering is the big one. Then, are you going to cut the fenders or not? Cutting has a huge affect on the amount of lift you'll need and in turn steering mods. I'm going to guess a hydro assist steering is going to be needed if you're doing anything besides mallcrawling.
Brakes, how are you going to stop that much moving mass? Hydro boost? F450 master?
Driveline mods? Shackle reversal?
If your running TTB, just pull the fender and make flat one like a Jeep because it's going to cost lots to lift them correctly.

Here is a place to start for gears: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Last edited:

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you meet a saw-z-all yet? lol

Here is a chart to give you an idea of the height needed.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/tire-hits-or-fits.htm

For gear ratios are you going to drive this on the road? That will decide what ratios you want to run.
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
I have used this to compare gears and the affects changing them will have on the truck.

If you want to run these tires before you swap the top loaders get the brackets to drop the beam pivots dear god don't try to fabricate a 8-10" lift unless you have extensive fabricating skills and you are very proficient with geometry and math.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Like this...*****

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...6?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27cc1df66c#v4-43

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I might get bashed for this, but that is in the top 10 dumbest things I have ever seen. What a waste of time, money and energy. When my dad was a teen, he used to have a jacked up Chevy Blazer with 38 inch tires on it. He will never forget the day when he took a turn and all but one lug nut snapped off of the front left tire because of the added stress large tires add to the drivetrain. He loves to share that story with me lol. It is kind of entertaining watching others break their drivelines and gears because of big tires.....and then they wonder why that happened hahaha.
Anyways if you are going to put large tires on it, those gears and drivelines may need to be beefed up because technically, the truck wasn't really designed to be a monster truck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might get bashed for this, but that is in the top 10 dumbest things I have ever seen. What a waste of time, money and energy. When my dad was a teen, he used to have a jacked up Chevy Blazer with 38 inch tires on it. He will never forget the day when he took a turn and all but one lug nut snapped off of the front left tire because of the added stress large tires add to the drivetrain. He loves to share that story with me lol. It is kind of entertaining watching others break their drivelines and gears because of big tires.....and then they wonder why that happened hahaha.
Anyways if you are going to put large tires on it, those gears and drivelines may need to be beefed up because technically, the truck wasn't really designed to be a monster truck.

And that is why we have lift laws...

Glad you both see the stupidity in that....and uselessness as well. It was placed here as a ha ha...to show how far stupid can take things....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In all seriosness,

If you want to run 44's you don't just slap parts and go for it, you need to understand all the dynamics of what happens as have been discussed here.

Larger heavier tyres require a very substantial increase in braking to be able to maintain a safe braking system.

Caster and camber on the front end have to be addressed as does the pinion angle...and that means CUSTOM driveshafts

Added height increases center of gravity, you need to address that.

Added tyre size plays absolute havok with steering and related components, tie rod ends, ball joints, king pins, steering boxes etc.

You tell us what you want to do, yet you do not offer any information about axles currently in your truck, if you are willing to CUT fenders./bumpers etc.

Not that this topic isn't worthy of discussion as quite a few members here are wheelers....just maybe you might want to also try a 4x board specific to full size Fords, fullsize bronco comes to mind, there is tons of info there about how size matters....report your findings here in your own thread.

Pirate 4x also has tons on 4xs perhaps those that have done this lots are the ones to ask.

Myself if it was me I'd say...8" lift, no taller of gear than 5:13's expensive axles read chrome moly..., bigger brakes, heim joint steering with DOM linkage, Hi Steer, hyrdro boost steering, the list just goes on and on and on...

Bigger and done right, can be safe...it is not cheap however...

Good luck

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a good quality suspension lift would be the best route... if you have the IFS dana 50 you will have cast and camber issues to keep straight, dana 60 front should be pretty simple, large arched leaf springs and a good steering set up z-bar with a drop pitman arm or hyd steering, extended brake lines, lengthen driveshafts, then you have to accomodate driveline angles and clock your t-case or run a divorsed case that has good drop... the rear would need some blocks and good springs.. check your state bumper laws too.. i live in FL and 44s are very common on the street and used on daily drivers, hell even seeing 52s are pretty common.. you may be able to find some parts for your build over on trucksgonewild.com...

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

In all seriosness,

If you want to run 44's you don't just slap parts and go for it, you need to understand all the dynamics of what happens as have been discussed here.

Larger heavier tyres require a very substantial increase in braking to be able to maintain a safe braking system.

Caster and camber on the front end have to be addressed as does the pinion angle...and that means CUSTOM driveshafts

Added height increases center of gravity, you need to address that.

Added tyre size plays absolute havok with steering and related components, tie rod ends, ball joints, king pins, steering boxes etc.

You tell us what you want to do, yet you do not offer any information about axles currently in your truck, if you are willing to CUT fenders./bumpers etc.

Not that this topic isn't worthy of discussion as quite a few members here are wheelers....just maybe you might want to also try a 4x board specific to full size Fords, fullsize bronco comes to mind, there is tons of info there about how size matters....report your findings here in your own thread.

Pirate 4x also has tons on 4xs perhaps those that have done this lots are the ones to ask.

Myself if it was me I'd say...8" lift, no taller of gear than 5:13's expensive axles read chrome moly..., bigger brakes, heim joint steering with DOM linkage, Hi Steer, hyrdro boost steering, the list just goes on and on and on...

Bigger and done right, can be safe...it is not cheap however...

Good luck

^^^^THIS^^^^ Please understand what these changes will effect, riot covered most everything that needs to be considered. Spend the money now and lift the truck correctly and safely for your sake and the sake of others. If any of the terms like heim steering, DOM tubing, Hi Steer and such are new and unfamiliar terms research them untill your eyes are tired and brain is swollen.

And that is why we have lift laws...

Thankfully this law does get enforced from time to time.

FWIW I am taking a 6cyl F-150 and running kingpin Dana 60 front with a 60 rear. Disk brakes on the rear, Hi Steer, and potently chromo shafts for only a set of 37's on a lot lighter truck platform.

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 6" lift amd fit 42's
So maybe an 8 or 10
But I'm keeping my 6 and just cutting my fenders
They had a guy on this forumn or on ford-trucks that had a stock 4x4 f350 srw with a d60 conversion and cut hi fenders and have 44x15.5
Boggers on it

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to modify the suspension, then redo the entire thing when you add the DT360 and rocks? Do it right the first time and save time and money ;Really

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I cleared 40x13.5 with no lift and just trimmed fenders.... depends on the truck style. 83-86 can fit them easier than the 87-91 or 92-97. the later ones have bumper clearance issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online