How do I remove an ats turbo???

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score
I'm tryin to get my gp controller off the back of my block, or at least get access to it. To do this I've got to get the ats turbo out of the way. Is there a site or anything where I can see what bolts need removing etc, really don't wanna get in over my head by mistake.
Thanks

By the way, truck is a 91 f250 4x4 7.3L

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Um IIRC the glowplug controller is supose to be relocated to the valve cover when adding a turbo

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
With my ATS kit, the GP controller is on the back of the intake manifold by the firewall. It's not easy to reach, but by no means does it require turbo removal.

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score
With my ATS kit, the GP controller is on the back of the intake manifold by the firewall. It's not easy to reach, but by no means does it require turbo removal.

Really? You've just worked around it?
Maybe I'll try again tomorrow and see if I've just not been trying had enough.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Really? You've just worked around it?
Maybe I'll try again tomorrow and see if I've just not been trying had enough.

It's possible you have an older version of the kit that may differ slightly from mine, but yeah, my GP controller is accessible if I just remove the airbox and lay across the motor.

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score
Mine is under/behind the spool part of the turbo. Like I said, I'll have a look at it tomorrow. How is the controller attached?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The controller's attached by two bolts....one on either side. I had the pleasure of removing one on a truck this afternoon...

Which ATS turbo do you have? That can make a difference (potentially a significant difference) in whether you need to remove it and especially whether you should relocate it...the 088 turbo install instructions don't say anything about relocating the glow plug controller, but I have yet to see how nicely the controller plays with the turbo with the controller in the stock location. That said, I tend to think that it would be uncomfortably close to the exhaust side of the turbo...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it could cook the controller. I think locating it in the fenderwell where you can service it easily and where it stays nice and cool is a great idea. When I upgraded to the solid state controller that is what I did. I put it right where the GP relay on the old 6.9 latching relay system is. Like The Warden I have the 088 non wastegated ATS system. I'm going to assume this is the Ford factory turbo.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 088 ATS turbo sits pretty much directly on top of the controller. When I had my 088 I was always waiting for the controller to crap out and have to remove the turbo to change it.

With the newer wastegated turbos, you can remove the airbox assy. and still get to the controller without removing anything else. I've serviced mine (replaced the harness) since installing my Aurora 2000 kit.

If you can ID your turbo as a non-wastegated ATS unit, you will likely have to remove it to gain access to the controller. Another option is to disconnect the batteries, remove all the wiring from the studs of the controller if you can get a wrench on the nuts on the studs, and install a new controller on the valve cover, abandoning the stock controller under the turbo.

Good luck!

Ryan

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's a non-wastegated turbo, it was on the truck when my dad bought it from the original owner in early '94.
I kinda like the idea of abandoning the old one, but I'm going to a pushbutton GP controller, so I'll need the relay that's attached to it. Unless the new (used) harness I'm buying has the controller in it.