How cold does your AC blow?

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I charged my AC last summer with a can of R134a from the store, worked great AC started blowing cold, pretty sure down in the 40s for temps out of the middle vent.

So this time I decided to add a can of stop leak in there while charging it, Got my low side up to 35psi with about 80 outside air temp, just using the cheapie guage on the bottle, AC blows cold again, but this time only @ 50 degress, sometimes it will drop below 50, but it stays pretty constant there.

My question is how cold does your truck blow?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
r134a systems are picky about the charge amount. just shooting refrigerant in them blindly isnt the best. a few ounces low and they dont move the oil right and a few ounces over can blow hoses or it just wont cool well. and the stop leak is real bad. i just bought a $520 filter to keep the stop leak out of my $15000.00 worth of ac machines. to answer your question. ..103f outside and 38f out the vents

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't put a thermometer in the vent, but it is COLD when cruising. It is 134a. My biggest complaint is low-ish air volume from the vents, I'd like it to move more air to cool down the huge cab.
Travis..

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
used to blow about 35 degrees out of the middle vent until my battery tie down came loose and pushed my liquid line into my radiator causing the system evacuate quite quickly. Sucks, now since its getting hot and staying humid here.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I just did a full 134a charge on my '85 last weekend. Around 90 out side, 36 out of the center vent. Good timing too as it's been over 110 the past couple of days.

X2 on the flow though, Ford's always sucked on air flow. I've had Ford trucks from the 50's, 60's, 70s, 80s, 90's and 2000s, and only the '90s and the 2000's had real fan speed. The '86 and earlier trucks just had slow and slower for fan speeds.

Can't speak for the '87 to '91 as I haven't had that generation yet. It could be they fixed it by then. I know my '92 blew strong though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm still using the R12 because I like using what the system was designed for. My ac out any vent is colder than you want to keep a hend in front of. Usually the wifey turns her vents off because its too cold. My ac works day and nite year round. I just add hest in the winter if needed. As already posted. Its a real bad idea using stop leak in these systems. Had you asked first before adding it many here would have explained why its not a good idea. Now your stuck with it.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just dropped in a cheap eBay NEW (not reman) compressor May 2013, original CFC-12, and it comes out freezing. I want to say they measured it at 35 Fahrenheit when I had it filled. As posted above though, low air volume. I'm going to open up the squirrel cage box and see if it's plugged up or needs oil here sometime soon. Regardless, it keeps my cab pleasant in the middle of the day in Tucson (110 Fahrenheit outside).

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Truck was already converted to 134a when I bought it, so sticking with R12 wasn't an option

About the stop leak, I guess it's too late now, I thought about bringing it to an AC shop, but our summers are too short to pay that kind of money

Based on everyone's response here, mine should be blowing colder, that's what I needed to know thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What charge amount are you guys doing? I thought I found 44oz for an R-12 system in a 1993. So If you convert it to R134 that would be about 85% of the R-12 charge? My a/c in the 93 blows cold, but it seems like the cab heat soaks and you have to keep running the a/c at full blast. I might also have an undercharge.