How accurate is the speed setting on your cruise control

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought another 6.9 recently, which has all the super deluxe RV-towin' sorts of features, and I'm happily getting to know it- just took it to Southern California for about 900 miles or so of tootling around. Yee, haw.

I have a question about cruise control- when I set mine, the truck always speeds up about 5 or 10 miles per hour faster than the spedometer said I was setting it at, and it's really hard to accurately get the speed I was aiming to set. There's a few other weirdnesses, like resume seems to mean 'full speed ahead' and something or another like that.

Anyway, I haven't gone into it yet to see what might be acting up, but what's you guys' experience with cruise and what goes wrong with it?

by the way I lent my 6.9 factory manual to someone a while back and it's gone for good- anyone have an extra to sell? I know about it being online somewhat, but I need a hard copy for trips.

thanks,
Mark

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
When mine works it is accurate, sounds like a vac leak. Look at your vac canister on the drivers wheel whell it looks like a coffee can, Look for holes it it.

analog

Reaction score
When I set mine, it slows down about 5 mph before "grabbing". But, once it grabs, it stays there. Accel/Resume doesn't work. It just surges.

I just chalked it up to this truck being an old fart, but I'll look at it once I get the big stuff out of the way. It's a minor annoyance. I know this doesn't help fix your problem, other than to say you're not alone.

You can find the manuals on ebay. I picked my factory manuals up there. They come around quite often. Way cheaper than the helm stuff, and I dont' have to wait for helm to get them in stock, which will probably be never.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
analog said:
When I set mine, it slows down about 5 mph before "grabbing". But, once it grabs, it stays there.
Actually, I think that that's normal of older Ford cruise controls. Every Ford I've seen with cruise control does that, and someone once said way back when that it's to be expected.

My "Resume" button works properly, but "Accel" is flaky...sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. I think my actuator's starting to fail, though, because I now have to keep slight foot pressure on the pedal to keep from slowly losing speed...

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are basically the symptoms- 5 mph faster than I think I've set it- when it works. Ugh. I'll dig into this next week sometime.

Mark

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Actually, I think that that's normal of older Ford cruise controls. Every Ford I've seen with cruise control does that, and someone once said way back when that it's to be expected.

My "Resume" button works properly, but "Accel" is flaky...sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. I think my actuator's starting to fail, though, because I now have to keep slight foot pressure on the pedal to keep from slowly losing speed...

Mine tends to lose 3-4 mph before engaging and then tries to regain what was lost.

I usually hold the button till I feel the accelerator pedal move under my foot. That means the cruise has finally caught up to the speed I wanted set and won't cause the truck to downshift to regain its speed.