Horsepower Question

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey y'all hows it goin? I just got a few questions regarding my truck. I have a 98 RAM 3500 with a 12v in it. I think the previous owner put a few performance mods in it but I'm not sure.

I got electric fans (no surprise there)
its got a new factory turbo set up
also this truck seems have more get up then a from stock 12v I mean she's got some oomph and get up to her then just any old 12v. Im trying to decided if the previous owner turned up the pump or not which I'm thinking he did because it black smokes more then the average stock cummins. also trying to figure out if the previous owner put those governor springs on there everyone keeps talking about. which I'm almost assuming he did the way that this truck likes to slip the clutch when ya get on her.

so lets just say the pump was turned up? from stock aprox how much power does this ole girl have?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it's the mechanical pump, probably removed or modded the fuel plate.
"Smokes more than the average stock cummins." Lol stock truck shouldn't smoke.
The governor springs affect the Rev limit, how high will she go?
Some adjustments of the afc would get rid of the smoke, unless that's your thing.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've gotten it up too 3.5 k before then I got scared and backed off. But when it gets that high that's when she's really rolling coal lol.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Then I would say it probably has the higher rpm springs. Lol
Sounds like a bigger clutch is in order.
Does it have the factory airfilter?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it has a rigged up CAI But I think what happened was the dude took the good CAI Off there and put s rigged up piece of garbage on there and used the good one on the truck he traded in for this one

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But yeah it has the damn cheap factory clutch. Trying to find a southbend that no one is using but new and someone wants to sell

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The BHAF works well on the second gen Dodges. That is what Travis had on the Nanny Goat.

As for power, depending on what actually has had done, it could be in the 300's easy.... could be more. I do not know what Travis's truck had, it was never officially dyno'ed. But I do know that my 03 6.0 PSD Excursion is rated at 325 at the crank. It is heavy and an auto, so that takes some. But right after I got it we did a side by side from a rolling start on the interstate, I got a brief jump, the Nanny Goat was a stick, bit as soon as he got rolling, he pulled away from me like i was sitting still.......

Rx7man

Reaction score
If it's smoking a lot, I'd recommend an pyrometer.. there's a good chance its running really hot too.

It could have had injectors put in, it could have had the AFC and fuel plates fiddled with, and the turbo may or may not have been overbored.

it's *very* hard to give an estimate on power.. When I got my truck it was stock except for ~40hp injectors. it was OK. Just grinding the fuel plate made the ass dyno say there was twice as much power, and the clutch didn't last a week before it started slipping.

Take a look at the AFC mounting bolts.. one of them should be a tamperproof bolt, with only a round hole in the center.. If it's a torx or a standard bolt, the AFC has been off and in chances are it has a #10 or 100 plate. Since it's revving to 3500, I'm going to guess it has governor springs in it... Before I put mine in my truck would only free-rev to 3000, when I put the 3k springs in it went up to about 3600 under no load. If he put a 4K spring kit in and was wise, he'd have upgraded both the intake and exhaust valve springs too

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
at 3500 rpm it does not have the stock gov springs - it's probably got the 3 or 4 k gov springs - the 3k kit will on some days allow you to turn a little above the 3k setting (hey it's a mechanical thing so it's not a set in stone deal) With running those types of RPMS I would look into making sure you have the upgraded valve springs as you need to get those things closed so that they won't float and tickle the pistons.

As mentioned a stock pump shouldn't smoke so it sounds like yours has been tinkered with - only way to find out is to tear it apart have a look see a the fuel plate, AFC springs, delivery valves and such.

Pyro - here is my opinion... I will go against the norm and say you don't need one because.... trust me I couldn't stay in mine long enough to actually do damage to the engine - I would run out of rpms before that would happen (yes mine was turning higher rpms than stock - my gov springs were changed).... I had a pyro and got tired of replacing the probe because I burned it OFF - I couldn't tell you how hot it was actually getting when I had my foot in it because the gauge didn't read high enough (1600 degree gauge) but I was only there for like a minute - then I was out of RPM and my speed was 115mph - this was even with pulling a 31ft Tall Travel Trailer (9500lbs+) so there wasn't enough time for it to heat soak the pistons and valves - yes the gas was that hot but trust me the metal surrounding it wasn't that hot. So I just gave up replacing it and enjoyed the ride - when we had the head off to do a head gasket the pistons did NOT show any signs of heat damage. So the choice of pyro use it totally up to you - I didn't have one and don't have one and will not be installing on even on my current truck I'm building. But it won't hurt anything to actually have one.

Deutz866

Reaction score
Well no matter what you do take the AFC housing off and look to see if theres a fuel plate in there. If the plates gone it will dump fuel regardless of air pressure or rpm and thats not good for anything if you're looking for longevity. At least put an aftermarket one in there. Ive got a picture of what it should look like on another thread

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?71202-Turbo-lag

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online