Hooowl on acceleration

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm having a louder howl than usual only when I declerate...any idea what it could be? ATS non gated turbo, 6.9, C6. Thanks in advance

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't know transmission shop says I've been stack shifting my C6. I wonder if its not happy. What could be the possibilities. Hard to say I know without hearing it.

suv7734

Reaction score
SInce it is only happening when you decelerate I would probably start with the rear differential. If one of the bearings is going it could be allowing too much play on the coast side of things.

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same thing happend to my 85 3/4 ton, made a howling noise when i let off the gas. the nut holding the yoke into the rear differential was lose. 5 minute fix for me.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thoiught of the diff....and it is the only time it happens.... which nut do you mean.... differential to driveshaft yoke or what...where is it exactly?

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thoiught of the diff....and it is the only time it happens.... which nut do you mean.... differential to driveshaft yoke or what...where is it exactly?

on mine, i removed the rear u joint(good time to replace if needed), and the nut that was loose on mine, is the one that holds the yoke(that the rear u joint attaches to)into the rear diff. it was like and 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 socket. it needs to be torqued down to specs. the nut itself may be bad and it might keep backing off. i put new rear axle seal in mine and didnt get it tight enough the first time. i got lucky. i thought the whole rear end was going out. it made a horrible noise! good luck

suv7734

Reaction score
it needs to be torqued down to specs. the nut itself may be bad and it might keep backing off. good luck

Be careful there is not a specific torque spec for the nut (IE 160 lb-ft) on these diff's (Sterlings) there is a crush sleeve in there that determines the 'pre-load' on the pinion bearings. This means that tightening the nut up too far will put too much load on the bearings and cause failure. The correct procedure involves tightening the nut until it requires 'x' lb-in force to turn the pinion. It is very important to not re-use a pinion nut if it is removed for any reason. Not to say it can't be done but...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7