Hood Stuck Closed

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had time to do much searching, and I am running out the door so I thought i would just throw this up. We have a hood on a '94 F-250 that is stuck closed. You can pull on the release and nothing happens the actual plastic handle moves, but it does not release the hood. Any tricks for getting it open?

gandalf

Reaction score
I'd start by having somebody out front pushing down on the hood as you pull the release handle. That allows the safety catch to move a slight bit easier. If that fails, there is a way to reach in through the grill, work around to the backside of the release mechanism, and release it.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you pull on the handle, have someone up in front press or thump down on the hood. Might work. Or could try reaching thru the grille with a long instrument and trying to manually work the hood latch.

Edit: gandalf beat me to it. So much for my thoughts LOL LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had he same problem on my 92. The release cable became unhooked from the latch. Your cable may have broke. As said, you have to reach thru the grill and push on the little finger while someone holds down the hood and then lift it. Did it by myself, but it's a ***** to do that. There is a thread about it, can't find it. But pics might help ya. In the 1st pic, underneath and to the left of the little cable is like a finger, you have to push it to the right, then lift the hood up to the safety position. The second pic shows the shape of the finger. The 3rd pic I tried to draw a red circle around where to the left is the finger.

Attachments

• hood latch.JPG
    hood latch.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Hood latch #2.jpg
    Hood latch #2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 34
  • hood latch 2.JPG
    hood latch 2.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Never met a hood (or door) I couldn't open with one of these:

You must be registered for see images attach

However, what was under the hood was normally on fire, so the condition of the hood after opening was not as critical as it may be for you....... LOL

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through the same thing with mine. Pull the cable, the cable pulls the (rusty) lever, and nothing happens. I tried the push down method and it didn't work. Then I pulled up on the hood to force the rusty lever to move and it finally did with plenty of effort. Lubing it did nothing. Put in a new hood release latch and all is good.
Rock Auto part number FO1234101
Ford part #F2TZ16700A
Swap took less than 5 minutes. $25 fix and I can use the hood as normal.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obs..rea h through grill as bill said press down on hood to rleive some tension...voila flick lever open hood replace.cable

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If and when you get the hood open and the cable is not broken and has just become unhooked. There is a spring on the small lever that releases the large hood hook. Take the whole mechanism off and grease it, check spring for broken, that spring is what pulls the cable back. There is a certain way the loop on the cable has to be hooked (routed) so it doesn't/can't come off.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The truck is at my dads house so it will be a couple days before I get out there. I will let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
This sucks when it happens. I had to drill a blazer hood to get it to open. This is why we need to grease cables and latches

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On an OBS, you can reach the lever the cable pulls pretty easy. Hardest part is knowing where to get your fingers behind. I will open mine all the time that way if I am too lazy to walk around and pull the cable.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online