Hood struts

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a kit to get rid of those old clock springs that hold the hood up and just go with struts? I've tried replacing the springs with some junkyard ones but my hood keeps falling on me and I'm not to much on propping it up with a stick.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I've seen complete new hinges from L & M Truck.com. Should totally solve your issue.

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha! Never even thought of them! And for $20 each it's worth it not getting smacked in the head by my hood

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heres a note about these wound up springs that holds the hood up. Never ever oil the flat spring winds. They keep the hood up by friction between the flat coils. I oiled mine and the hood would not stay open. Took me some time to figure out what I had done. Washed out the oil with brakeclean and now the hood stays open. No more headaches..:thumbsup:;Sweet

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's something else I can look at before I go spending money. Thanks for the tips!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Tips are free I told her...:eek::rotflmao This was a self taught idea. I was rebuilding my first engine when I felt I should oil the hinges and the springs. I was hearing some noise when opening the hood. Well the hood would not stay up after oiling everything. Felt it could not be the pivots being freed up so I washed off the flat coiled springs.. That fixed it...:angel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online