Homemade Pyrometer / WVO Controller System

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the wvo /pyrometer, If anyone here has any interest in having one of these controllers or knows someone who would, pm me. If I have a few people that are interested, I will start pushing forward with them a bit more to get to a more marketable state. I ran some numbers based on cost of parts and labor and figured I that if I did sell them, I would like to price them at $350-400 without and with pyrometer.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
That would be a sick cover for the device,
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm sorry dave but the egt is compromising our mission. LOL I'd like to see the final product first but I'm interested

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd post an update with pictures, because everyone loves pictures right?

I got my thermocouple probe this week, and I hope to get it installed this weekend. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the best place to put it. I'm thinking on the drivers side for sure just for ease of running wires. But does it matter where at on the header? Between specific cylinders?

I've been playing around with the probe a little bit. Heres the probe itself.

I then hooked everything up and stuck the probe in a pot of boiling water to check accuracy. It read 206* F, not bad considering the two other meat probes I compared it too were reading 208 to 209. That should be enough accuracy for what I need it for.

Then, Just for fun, I stuck it in a candle flame to see how hot I could get the readout. It darn near hit 1000* F with the candle flame, High enough for me to test my 900* F alarm set point.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

Thats funny & awesome.
Maybe something from SpaceBalls, would be more our (IDI's) speed.:rotflmao:rotflmao
"my name is BARF"

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd post an update with pictures, because everyone loves pictures right?

I got my thermocouple probe this week, and I hope to get it installed this weekend. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the best place to put it. I'm thinking on the drivers side for sure just for ease of running wires. But does it matter where at on the header? Between specific cylinders?

I've been playing around with the probe a little bit. Heres the probe itself.

I then hooked everything up and stuck the probe in a pot of boiling water to check accuracy. It read 206* F, not bad considering the two other meat probes I compared it too were reading 208 to 209. That should be enough accuracy for what I need it for.

Then, Just for fun, I stuck it in a candle flame to see how hot I could get the readout. It darn near hit 1000* F with the candle flame, High enough for me to test my 900* F alarm set point.

I cannot see your pictures. I can see the others in this thread, just not the one in this post.

For an IDI, most like to put it in the manifold between cylinders 6 and 8. They fire one after another, so it should be the hottest spot. Its also convenient as its on the back drivers side of the engine, so its easy to run your wire in the cab. Some like to put the probe post turbo, so if the tip breaks off you don't trash your exhaust wheel. But on an IDI, the exhaust has cooled so much that a post turbo reading is pretty much only a guess. On my Cummins, I have it pre turbo for a better reading. I'd rather trash a turbo than a piston.

This is slick. I may have to go this route for my gauges (oil press, water temp, exhast temp, fuel press, tach, boost). I want to have a alarms on all but tach, and I would prefer to have a needle pointing rather than a digital display - easier to check at a glance. I've dabbled in programming and fairly basic data acquisition, so I think I could figure it out.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, pictures show up for me, even in your quoted reply. I did notice they took awhile to appear when I first posted.

No turbo for me, I think between 6 and 8 is where I'll go. As for a gauge readout, I think I could get something like that working fairly easily. I might give it a try.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/j3d9KWBQYhg

Here is an update to the functionality of my wvo controller. It's still not done yet, though it is functioning as my wvo control system.

I have implemented the pyrometer as well, but didn't detail that in the video. My thermocouple chip failed and I need to get a new one to replace it. I did make an egt Guage as well. Overall, the Guage works well. I'll post a picture of the Guage once I get the thermocouple chip working.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Quick question, what are you using for valves?

I like this a lot. Not sure if use it for veggie oil but I could totally see using something like this for my exhaust brake and a couple other things in addition to reading out a bunch of gauges.

Big thumbs up.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The valves I use come from wvo designs. They are 3 way solenoid valves, each drawing about 2 amps, hence the reason I am using mosfets and relays to switch them.

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online