Homebrew Centrifuge

TestDriver

Reaction score
I want to install a bypass centrifuge system in my truck to clean the oil I intend to use for fuel. My pressure source will be a power steering pump run off the engine. I've seen this done by many others to use the pumps as lift pump replacements so this part is not innovative or difficult.

The part that is challenging is the centrifuge. All the commercially available units are, in my mind, way over priced. So, I intend to make something myself and see if I can get it done for less and have more capability.

Here is my plan. For the rotor, I'm going to use a commercially available, disposable centrifuge rotor from a Mack truck application. I've already bought two of the Centri Max Plus rotors off ebay. Delivered, they were $20 so even if I fail at it, this won't be a major loss.

My intention is to somehow open the rotors and make them rebuildable. I can make one out of two if needed though I'll try to not destroy both in order to make one. If it turns out to not be feasible, I might just go the disposable route or find another way of cleaning them.

Has this been done before? If so, I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks.

TestDriver

Reaction score
Centrifuge Update

Well, I had many lookers but no one chimed in. So, I went off on my own.

After opening one of the rotors I had bought, I discovered that they have a cool little turbine-like center. Some of the literature I found suggests this helps with rotor efficiency so I'll keep it.

I had time recently to work on this again and have made some progress. Here are some pics of the unit with the take-apart threads I made. The pictures should be self explanatory but if anyone thinks of a question, just ask.

I still have to build a housing to put it in, but I've gotten the material ready and I have a design in mind. If it had not been for the cold weather and the necessary tank heat I needed to address, I might have gotten this done a while back.

Attachments

• CFAssy.jpg
    CFAssy.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 15
  • CFXpl.jpg
    CFXpl.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 19
  • CFTurbine.jpg
    CFTurbine.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 14
  • CFRings.jpg
    CFRings.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 13
  • CFIndex2.jpg
    CFIndex2.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 11
  • CF2.jpg
    CF2.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 8
  • CF1.jpg
    CF1.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 9

sassyrel

Reaction score
so--just the oil flowing thru it doesnt make it selfpowering?? never heard of this--

TestDriver

Reaction score
Update

very cool i would like to see the results

Well, after trying it on my own, I broke down and bought a commercial one instead. Maybe in the future I can continue this but for now, I'll use a Spinner II for my on board self contained centrifuging system.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Just noticed this old thread. Good try. I too wish someone would come up with a cheaper alternative. I'm looking real hard at the PPE unit to put in my Duramax, but at $500 I'm still just looking.

Tom