Holley Pump Noise

Rodney9865

Rodney65
Reaction score
I mounted my pump to the frame rail just upstream of the fuel selector valve. All I could hear was that pump running, even over the engine.
I got a piece of that thick rubber belting that they use in the mill and mounted that between the frame & the pump. I think it makes more noise now than it did mounted solid to the frame. Is this common or do I have a pump that makes alot of extra noise. It pumps great and have had no problems with it at all. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very happy to try anything at this point.
Thanks,
Rodney

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I mounted my pump to the frame rail just upstream of the fuel selector valve. All I could hear was that pump running, even over the engine.
I got a piece of that thick rubber belting that they use in the mill and mounted that between the frame & the pump. I think it makes more noise now than it did mounted solid to the frame. Is this common or do I have a pump that makes alot of extra noise. It pumps great and have had no problems with it at all. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very happy to try anything at this point.
Thanks,
Rodney

Are You running a gasser???? The only way I could hear the holley pump on My truck is placing My ear next to it but then I would have to cover the other ear :D . Is normal to hear some while the glow plugs are ON (if You wired it to run with the key ON) but nothing else specially with our engines.

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can hear the faint humming at idle and lower rpms, but it doesn't bother me, and the pump works well. Must be our super-good hearing!!!!!LOL

86 1 tonhauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does that pump shut off at a certain pressure and kick on and off or does it run constantly or does it build pressure then stop right before u start to crank the motor

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Runs constantly unless the switch or oil pressure switch if you have one cuts off. I can hear mine waiting for the glow plugs or at idle especially if I'm on the outside of the truck while its running.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, they do make noise and the frame will amplify it. The trick to get it quite is in how you mount it. If you use Rubber extensively you can get it to the point where you really won't hear it when the truck is running. You have to isolate the bolt holes as well. On all my trucks I mounted it to a plate, that was L shaped, and then bolted that to the frame. That seems to work good for me.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes, they do make noise and the frame will amplify it. The trick to get it quite is in how you mount it. If you use Rubber extensively you can get it to the point where you really won't hear it when the truck is running. You have to isolate the bolt holes as well. On all my trucks I mounted it to a plate, that was L shaped, and then bolted that to the frame. That seems to work good for me.

And that is one of the things I liked about the Carter over the Holley, not to mention price, they come with a rubber insulated mounting bracket included with the pump. It is made with three studs that stick up and engage heavy rubber o-rings which the L shaped bracket is machined to hold.

Rodney9865

Rodney65
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think what I will do is rivet a piece of that thick rubber belting I have to the top and bottom webs of the frame and then bolt the pump and bracket to that piece of belting. That belting is stiff enough to suppport the bolts easy. There will be no connection that is metal to metal. I will let ya'll know how it works.
Thanks,
Rodney

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think what I will do is rivet a piece of that thick rubber belting I have to the top and bottom webs of the frame and then bolt the pump and bracket to that piece of belting. That belting is stiff enough to suppport the bolts easy. There will be no connection that is metal to metal. I will let ya'll know how it works.
Thanks,
Rodney

I would say you got a good idea. Keep us posted.