Hobb's pressure switch

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into doing a homemade propane kit and after reading the Ziggster method I have a question.

He ran the Hobbs pressure switch to be affected by his oil pressure because his engine is N/A, and my question is could I run the Hobbs switch off of my boost line? I would like to try this in the near future.

Thanks,
Lance

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can. I used to have a 79 macho t/a with a rajay turbo kit from ho racing. Screwed into the air bonnet was a hobb switch to activate the water injection under boost. It had an adjustment screw to set when under boost it activates.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay cool. So I think my setup will go somethin like this:

-tank in toolbox
-electric solenoid cut-off switch
-regulator
-low pressure hose to intake
-and i guess wire the hobbs pressure switch to the electric cut-off....

IDK do yall have any ideas of how to this?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm just saying, are you going to plumb the propane to be sucked into the turbo, or put it in the intake hat or intake manifold?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Well i dont know a hole lot about this, but would it really be good for propane to be spinning in the turbo? and why dont you just copy crash86 propane his works good dont it? yall are buddys right?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i dont know a hole lot about this, but would it really be good for propane to be spinning in the turbo? and why dont you just copy crash86 propane his works good dont it? yall are buddys right?

Yeah, but he spent 700 on his setup and I have always done things the harder way cause I dont have such deep pockets. He has the Powershot 2000 or somethin like that....

I was going to plumb this into the intake box/hat/thing.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate that don(Ziggster) doesn't post here anymore. His design seems very solid and he is a very smart fellow so I'd not hesitate to copy his design. However that was for a NA engine. I think your idea seems ok you just have to figure out if the LPG gets injected before or after the turbo. I think I'd be scared to inject if before the turbo. With the air being hot and a lot of turbulence I wonder if it couldn't auto ignite as it goes through the turbo. Things to think about. However I'm totally ignorant about propane injection. I would probably be willing to give it a try if I could get the parts cheap and do it right as I always have some around.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate that don(Ziggster) doesn't post here anymore. His design seems very solid and he is a very smart fellow so I'd not hesitate to copy his design. However that was for a NA engine. I think your idea seems ok you just have to figure out if the LPG gets injected before or after the turbo. I think I'd be scared to inject if before the turbo. With the air being hot and a lot of turbulence I wonder if it couldn't auto ignite as it goes through the turbo. Things to think about. However I'm totally ignorant about propane injection. I would probably be willing to give it a try if I could get the parts cheap and do it right as I always have some around.

Well I know when crash86 had this turbo and propane, the powershot's directions were to run into the intake. He threaded a hole into the banks box, which I had to plug up, so I guess I can use the existing hole. BTW I think this would count as post turbo...

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that you would inject it before the turbo. If you injected it after, you would be working (injecting) against pressurized air, maybe difficult to adjust for? Also, you need three things to for ignition; oxygen, fuel and heat. Injecting before the turbo I don't think would be dangerous because the heat isn't high enough and the mixture would be too lean (too much oxygen) to ignite. I'll be watching this thread and checking out zigsters old posts too, cause I'm thinking of making my own system too.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the way powershot designed it, why do anything different than that? Also if it was in the air intake box, it's still actually pre turbo isn't it? You'd have to actually drill and tap a hole in the intake hat or in the cold side piing of the turbo to legitimately make it post turbo unless I misunderstand.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my bad yall are right, Since the box is the filtered intake and intake hat all combined I was getting confused I guess. It is Pre-turbo