Hit a bump... Heard a bang.. With pics

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
My truck's bed has been tilted since I got it. I never saw the impending carnage, until this afternoon. I hit a bump in the road, heard a band and found this when I got home..

You must be registered for see images attach

I have two options, that I can see... I can either find another one to replace it with, or have it welded back together. The CMO of the railroad could probably weld a couple of paper clips together and have them look like they were meant to be that way. I'm sure he would be able to weld this perfectly.

Whaddya you guys think?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ford sells that part I think, I would just replace it in that case. It is gone and rusty now so maybe not going to last if You weld it.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Replace the bracket. They are not expensive from Ford. Grind off the rivets and replace w/ grade 8 and lock nuts. You might want to inspect the other 3 brackets. Also, you might need a shackle if you cant get the bolt out. Might need a spring bushing also, if that bolt is frozen.
John

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
New! You are looking about $50, I put all new on mine from ford. I got them from fordparts.com, but they've changed their name. They were half what my local stealership wanted for them, even with shipping.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Yeah... there is not much material there to weld... You would basically have to fab the part from scratch.. if it can be had new easily... just replace it.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's odd it rusted out like that, they usually die from water collecting in that recessed area under the shackle bolt and rusting out the sides where the bolt goes through - that's what happened to mine actually, but nothing a few rods of 3/8" rebar can't fix :D

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
If you want any lift in the back while your are replacing them go to SKY MANUFACTURING. COM they make a shackle flip to give 4" on lift w stock ride and they are made of 1/4 " and 3/8" plate steel;Sweet

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I'm not really looking for any lift just yet.. I just want this thing to stop nickel and diming me, so I will be able to go to the rally. It's kind of hard to save money, when your truck keeps sucking it out of your wallet!

sootman73

Reaction score
i have them i think. they are used but in pretty good condition if i can remember. i'll let ya have them for shipping. let me double check though.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
How did that make your bed sag? If you need them I can get the ones off the parts truck? did you want the dually rear too?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
How did that make your bed sag? If you need them I can get the ones off the parts truck? did you want the dually rear too?

The rear of the frame was being supported by that end of the spring. There is several inches between where the bracket is and where it was. If Sootman73 doesn't have any, then I'll need them. Don't know if I'm ready for a dually-rear yet... I just want the truck rally ready.. The way it is going, I'll never be able to leave home!