High Cost of Diesel Fuel

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
I'll stop driving my truck and the car.
Enough's enough and as consumers we just have to say, "NO!"
That's the idea! He's a great idea from another fellow.
Here is a start, stay home Friday night until Monday morning. When stations have NO business on the weekends, and stores and restaurants have no weekend business, word will get around that we are fed up!
What an outstanding idea! Just think, if the stores, restaurants, movie theaters and gas stations were deserted on weekends, someone would take notice! It would really have to be a concentrated effort but it would probably have some positive results. Of course there will always be those who will say it won't work, but they usually find fault with everything anyway. Like they say nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's a big sacrifice to ask of everyone but something has got to be done!

NVCowboy

Reaction score
THis topic may have been covered during this thread, but all I could get out of the previous four pages of posts was blah, blah, blah. Why does diesel cost more than Regular Unleaded? When I first bought my truck in '02 regular unleaded was MORE than diesel. About six months later and it all started to change. I miss the good old days of say three years ago.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You guys complaint?

It is 2.99 or 3.16 in here when regular unleaded is 2.37.

To get a home for your family it'll cost you 400k and up around here (montgomery county), and 400k for a regular home not to mention 600k for a condo. Town houses (rat boxes) are cheaper though but I could never do anything on my truck there :mad: .

Some day I'll have my own Home.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
You guys complaint?
It is 2.99 or 3.16 in here when regular unleaded is 2.37.
To get a home for your family it'll cost you 400k and 400k for a regular home not to mention 600k for a condo.
Some day I'll have my own Home.
Exekiel69,
I really feel for you. How in the world can you afford to live? What do you do for a living that you can afford a 400k home? Where I live that would buy a 4000 sq. ft. mansion! I kid you not. My house is a 2200 sq. ft. split level 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, w/2 car attached garage that I bought 30 years ago for $35k. Today it's worth $150k or more as I'm not up on property values and it is a very nice house.

As far as fuel prices go. When Mobil Exxon posted their $10 Billion profits for the third quarter in 2005 the public complained so much that congress invited the CEO's of all the leading oil companies to explain what the hell was going on. The only problem was they were not sworn in under oath, so they all lied thru their teeth and congress accepted their lies as truth. What a joke! It was all a big show to quiet the public and it worked but the prices began to come down, not nearly as low as they should be but they are lower.

When I bought my first diesel truck diesel fuel was .87 cents a gallon! A few months ago I was paying as high as $3.25/gallon and now the last time I fueled up I paid $2.28/gallon and I think that's still too high! But people have stopped complaining because they're so thankful they're not paying $3.50/gallon and that's exactly what the oil companies had planned on. They would keep on squeezing the public until they screamed loud enough and as long as they could get away with it and then lower it to $2.50/gallon where they really wanted it the whole time, laughing all the way to the bank! Dropping off wheelbarrows full of money to their cronies in Washington along the way. (Did you ever hear them complain about fuel prices?) The rich get richer and....That's the American way.

We had our chance and blew it. If enough people would have said "enough is enough" and just stopped using so much fuel we could have made a difference but that just didn't happen. The oil companies have us by the jockey shorts and they know it. Mark my words, by next summer fuel prices will be right back up where they were a few months ago. There's bound to be another hurricane or disaster or thunderstorm or some CEO will blow a fuse in his house.....

Y2KPSD

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really just a new owner of a DIESEL ( 1991 Ford F250 4x4) and dont know whole lot about this YET but one thing I can say. PEOPLE CANNOT JUST DO WITHOUT FUEL, whether gas or diesel. ALOT of people commute to work. I have friend that his wife works in Houston, she drives about 40mi. one way and that is everyday. ALOT of people have those types of jobs where they have to commute for miles, HELL who, in their right mind, would really want to live in HOUSTON.

Anyway, There has to be some better way to get there attention.

BTW , I am a FNG to the site. I just found out about the site, it was recommended by someone on here. I also frequent www.fordtruckenthusiasts.com

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
y2kpsd said:
A few months ago I was paying as high as $3.25/gallon and now the last time I fueled up I paid $2.28/gallon. Mark my words, by next summer fuel prices will be right back up where they were a few months ago.
That's what I said back in January. Well now diesel prices are anywhere from $2.99/gallon to $3.19/gallon and climbing just like I predicted. Last week alone it cost me $149 for fuel and I purchased my fuel at the local Seneca Indian reservation for a "mere" $2.74/gallon. :***: I may have to park my rig and get one of those littlefourbangerstickshiftpuddlejumpers that get 40 mpg. :puke:

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
diesel by my place is still $2.79/gal and regular unleded is $3.05 - gues I should go top-off the IDI:)

If you don't need to haul anything it doesn't make any sense (to me) to drive a truck. Heavy, slow and use a huge amount of fuel. Even if fuel were free, a truck just is more cumbersom to drive than a little car, or a motorcycle (my choice of transportation). My motorcycle is comfortable, handles well, will run 10sec quarters and gets 45mpg in conditions not condusive to fuel economy. My wife's civic VX is slower and much less fun, but still gets 40-50mpg depending on conditions.

Last year I put 17k miles on my motorcycle and just under 3k on the IDI.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
bikepilot,

I agree with the motorcycle idea. I've owned 4 Harley's over the years but I've had eight back operations so my Road King is a thing of the past. Besides in this area motorcycle riding is only a 6 month season because we average about 10 feet of snow every winter. I'd love to be able to drive a small car but because of my "back problems" I'm unable to even get into a small vehicle, that's the reason I drive a pickup. Although I really don't need to drive such a BIG truck but my 1 ton diesel does gets better mileage then most gassers do.

Besides you don't get any respect driving a little car. Now when I'm in my BIG F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 looking down on everyone, well lets just say I get lots of respect and space. :hail

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever??

This isn't about whose fault it is or isn't. It's about getting fuel prices down to an affordable level for everyone, including you. So don't try to turn this into a ******* match. If you don't want to send a message to your Representatives don't, but then don't complain about the high cost of fuel.

Here's the link again, just in case you have a change of heart. Here

Y2KPSD

I sent mine

tgatch

Reaction score
Ok.... most of us that own $40K pickup trucks are whining about the cost of fuel?

Diesel at $2.19 per gallon over 10,000miles at 16 MPG= $1368.75
Diesel at $3.30 per gallon over 10,000miles at 16 MPH= $2062.50

$700 per 10,000 miles. That's $70 per 1,000miles. Or an extra $35 per tank or so. Ok, so the wife and I go out to eat one less time per month, or we order off the $1 menu more. We have found that camping for free on BLM land has off set the extra fuel cost, so now we can go out and camp the same amount.

When I first started driving back in 1988 gas was still under $1. Now it is averaging $2.50 for regular unleaeded. That's a 250% increase in 18 years. The house I bought in Dec of 1998 in So Cal was $163,000 was sold in Apr of 2003 at almost a 100% increase. House down the street with the exact same floorplan sold at $537,000 in Feb of 2006 That is almost a 330% increase in 8 years. How come very few complain about their house values going up 330% in 7 years?

Just my take on the whole scenario. If your fuel prices bother you that much then go buy that new diesel motorcycle that get 100mpg when they come out. Here is the info for you: http://dieselmotorcycles.com/