Hi from Macon, Georgia

MisterE

Reaction score
I just got a 1994 F-350 dually 7.3L IDI with the factory turbo (first diesel ever). Just wanted to say "Hi" and that I don't know much about diesels, just what I've been reading on here and The Diesel Stop...Great Stuff on both sites. I have a friend with a shop that is checking it over for me. So far, so good. I want to learn all I can about it, so it will last a long time. So, bear with me if I load y'all up with questions (I'll attempt to search before asking). I got it to pull an 8K travel trailer about once a month...my other truck is a gasser with 258000 miles on it, so I need to let it rest a little...let the diesel carry the load for a while.

thanks.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Couldn't have picked a better group of guys to learn from or a better rig for your needs. It'll do your bidding reliably, cheaply and patiently, just not fast. I look forward to pics.

MisterE

Reaction score
Those were the key things I was looking for: reliable, cheap, and relatively easy to work on. I originally test drove a '01 with the powerstroke. Liked it, but had too much blow by, and parts for the powerstroke cost a lot more than the IDI. Will post some pics...may take a bit, but will do.

Thanks.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I just towed a similar weight toyhauler to the rally and back to South Jersey. I averaged 11.5 mpg's and only needed one stop for fuel between Tecumseh MI and Mays Landing NJ. I would venture to say that the gasser probably doesn't do much better than that empty. Welcome to the site, sounds like you know what you are getting into as far as the IDI's ease of working on and such;Sweet

MisterE

Reaction score
That's good to know, Goose. My gasser gets 13 MPG (5.9L 360 Ram 4x4). When towing, it's about 7 to 8 on the highway, and 5 in the mountains...I lose a lot of speed up in the hills of Blue Ridge, GA. Hoping that this will no longer be an issue. Next trip is Labor Day.

MisterE

Reaction score
Do any of you have problems towing up hills? My friend told me tonight that I probably would not like the performance of the truck...he drives a lot newer (and nicer) powerstroke. My camper is in the shop right now, so when I get it out, I plan on seeing for my self, but right now I am a bit discouraged...we'll see....The camper weighs right at 8K loaded, and it's a 35 ft. bumper pull (travel trailer)
Thanks for the insight.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Put in a pyro and boost gauge. The turbo will definitely help with ascending hills as will turning up the fuel some....like I said, she'll do your bidding but not necessarily at a fast pace.

MisterE

Reaction score
I plan on dragging the camper around to see how it does once I get it back. If all goes well, I will start with the maintenance list to get the truck set up right (it's turning into an extensive list, but at least not too expensive).

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
If you looking to be running 70 mph up a mountain grade I'm sorry to say you won't be doing that. But you should be able to run 55. The IDI is not a powerhouse but its reliable and very easy to work on. The thing to remember is when these trucks were built the std speed limit was 55 and the trucks will do that. Now days its 70 with most running faster than that. I'm just being honest with ya. Now that said think about it this way most trips even a couple of hundred miles one way running 65 on the flats and 55 in the hills will only take you about 10 mins longer. So really why complain. Enjoy the ride. Heck I'm picking up a non turbo one here in a while for my towing needs.

But even the powerstrokes and cummins have to turned up to hang at 70 in the mountsins.... trust me I've had a cummins that was far from stock and they are pretty much considered by just about everyone in the diesel world as the engune that pulls but they don't have much when stock either.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell your friend that while the performance may be lacking, your truck will be around long after his latest whizbang creation has run itself into the ground. ;)

MisterE

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. I will be extremely satisfied if I can run 55 in the hills. I normally only run about 60-65 even through Atlanta. Some of those hills in the mountains with my gasser dropped me down in the mid 30's to low 40's.... Most of my trips are under 200 miles each way...all have been in Georgia so far, but will be going further as my confidence builds in the IDI. Thanks Guys!!:hail

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey tell your friend his race horse might win the race but when it brakes a leg you will be happy to tow him home. IDI's are never first on race day but they always make it home in one piece! Thats a nice load for your truck puts you around 14k so thats about your max but will do it way better than your Gasser. Also your IDI will do it in style nothing better than travling in a nice classic diesel.

pafixitman

Reaction score
bump the fuel and shorten the wastegate. Look into getting a ATS downpipe and run 3" all the way out (at least - I go from a 3" down pipe to 4" back). If you are automatic add a tranny cooler and the 4R100 trans pan. I used to pull a 11K 5th wheel.

MisterE

Reaction score
Thanks for the help ya'll. Tomorrow I hope to have some idea of how it tows my camper. I believe it already has a transmission cooler, but will double check that. I plan on getting the 3" downpipe from Banks (supposedly bolt on?), then finding a shop around here to run 3" exhaust. Also will be getting gauges, too...first though, after the "tow check", I plan on changing all the fluids and filters, getting some tires (needs them badly), then going from there. I'll keep ya posted...Thanks for the support!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Thanks for the help ya'll. Tomorrow I hope to have some idea of how it tows my camper. I believe it already has a transmission cooler, but will double check that. I plan on getting the 3" downpipe from Banks (supposedly bolt on?), then finding a shop around here to run 3" exhaust. Also will be getting gauges, too...first though, after the "tow check", I plan on changing all the fluids and filters, getting some tires (needs them badly), then going from there. I'll keep ya posted...Thanks for the support!

:popcorn:popcornI hope you like it, dude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger