HF diesel compression tester.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone thinking about buying a diesel compression tester from HF, part #93644, they have changed the adapters for the glow plug, THEY DON'T WORK. See the difference in the two sets below.

The first two pic's are of the one I bought several years ago, same part #93644. IT DOES HAVE THE FORD ADAPTER THAT WORKS, #17 in the pic.

Bottom pic is the one for sale now, same part #93644, THIS ONE WILL NOT WORK, adapter will NOT fit.

Still a good price at $25, if you need the guage, the Ford GP adapter can be reworked to fit by turning down the diameter on the end.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-diesel-engine-compression-tester-93644.html

Attachments

• DVC01686.JPG
    DVC01686.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DVC01688.JPG
    DVC01688.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 7
  • HF diesel comp.tester 93644.jpg
    HF diesel comp.tester 93644.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 21

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have the old set and it didnt fit either, one of the others did though, not right but good enough. my gage stopped holding pressure by the time i was done checking the engine the first time. you get what you pay for, might be worth the "insurance" plan they offer.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found quality tools save lots of time in the long run. I would imagine that anyone who owns older vehicles maintains them and would have or want the proper tools. If you don't maintain them yourselves, the cost advantage of an older vehicle is greatly diminished.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have access to lathe one of the fittings can easily modified to work. A drill, bench grinder and steady hands may work as well. I will post a picture later.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its later

You must be registered for see images attach

The one with the schrader valve sticking out on the bottom is the modified one. I just cut a little of the end with the schrader valve so the threads would engage.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The one with the schrader valve sticking out on the bottom is the modified one. I just cut a little of the end with the schrader valve so the threads would engage.

Same thing I did. works great.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I've used it on my 6.9 and 7.3's. My 6.5 Burban, a 6.2 blazer. Various Mercedes diesels but more specifically the OM617 numerous times. Used it on a om616, 12V cummins, 7.3 and 6.0 ford diesels. Its suppose to cover more, but thats what i have personally used it on. I bought the matco kit first, then i bought this one since i was working dockside on a boat with a peninsular 6.5 diesel pos. I didn't want that matco unit near salt water and the thing works just as good. So i just keep using this one now.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what a customer review say's about Amazon product.

5.0 out of 5 stars SG 34730 Adapter, April 3, 2011
By Kurt "Water_Land" (Virginia) - See all my reviewsThis review is from: Diesel Engine Compression Test Adapter - Navistar
To anyone considering this adapter, make sure that you are working on the IDI 7.3L Navistar engines (1994 and earlier -- VIN = M (8th character)) and not the later 7.3L engines of the Power Stroke era (1994.5 and later -- VIN = F (8th character)). Upon closer inspection on the manufacture's website catalog,[...], the correct adapter would be SG 35250. Unfortunately, Amazon, nor any of its vendors, carry this item.

I am waiting for the corresponding diesel compression tester by Tool Aid (SGT34700) which is available through one of Amazon's vendors, ToolSource, which also has this adapter. Upon receipt of the tester and adapter and the opportunity to use the tools, I will write a review based on my experience. Note : I found the tester through another vendor for almost $[...] less and the SG 35250 adapter for about $[...] - $[...] less than any other vendor online with expedited shipping from PA to VA (2 days) for $[...].

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online