16-06-06_2125.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 2

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-Drool -Drool -Drool

You could have some fun with that :D

ER, it depends...I think that most 'Mogs actually have inline-6 gasoline engines, although IIRC it's not hard to swap an OM617 in there. Some later ones ('70's) had diesels, but it was something bigger than the OM61x engines...I don't remember for certain what. Certainly, any 'Mog has a complete Daimler-Benz drivetrain.

'Mogs truly are amazing...I want one to play with someday :D It'll go right around my old Scout...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
the motivation is provided by a ford 300 I-6.
Interesting...certainly, that's not the original engine. Any idea how they handled the rest of the drivetrain?

I'm not all that well-versed on 'Mogs, but I seem to recall a special enclosed driveshaft setup, which if I remember right means they would need to keep the Daimler-Benz tranny. Did they adapt the 300-6 to the M-B tranny, or what? Or is my memory just that bad? ;)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what I saw, the bellhousing is furd. I suspect the flywheel and the clutch assy is furd too. there is a adaptor mounted on the back of the bellhousing that converts the furd trans bolt pattern to MBZ. physically, the frame and body is the best I have ever seen for a unimog. the electrical was a freeking joke. That is why its on the back of the truck. These fools bought it from a dealer up in Richmond, and was driving it back it socal...namely mexcio when it conked out at Story and 101. Combined total for the two days I dealt with it was $750 :D
they paid the dealer $25k for it. I think they are getting their money back plus the breakdown expenses.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall some 'Mogs having a combination of 12V and 24V onboard (something like the military-spec Hummers), although I don't remember for sure. I'm going to hazard a guess that this is one of 'em, and some 1D10T didn't realize it and started monkeying with the electrical system? Especially with the engine swap, I can imagine things getting sticky...

$25K seems a bit much, but considering the shape the body's in...I can see it going for that if everything was happy. I"m still amazed that the buyers decided to try and drive it to Mexico without even giving it a once-over. Also, do they know that 'Mogs can't go faster than 50mph or so? The enclosed driveshaft setup I was talking about will get damaged if the vehicle speed is any higher than that (and, IIRC, 50 is pushing it). 'Mogs were NEVER meant for highway travel...if they are hell-bent on getting it down there, they should trailer it...

I need to find a better description of the drivetrain setup; I don't remember it in very good detail (and what I know was told to me by other people), but it's quite exotic. But, it works...

{on edit}I found the thread where I got the driveshaft info from...and, as I thought, I was remembering a few things wrong. The whole thread's worth a read IMHO...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac