hey folks.. just an introduction..

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
hello everyone, i justed wanted to introduce myself and my truck to OB. i've been reading your threads for a little while now, and figured i should speak up and get involved! i was recently introduced to the joys (and frustrations) of diesel ownership with the purchase of a 95 f250 powerstroke 4X4. the truck has about 220k on it and still runnin strong. i'm tryin to build a semi-hotrod/ strong tow vehicle, and figured this was the best bang for my buck! i have already purchased an intercooler, with a new turbo and downpipe being soon to follow. as far as chips/programmers, my buddy sold me a superchips microtuner2001, but my truck wont accept it! :confused: i tried it in my brothers 97, and it works fine. any thoughts on this?? i'm thinkin my diagnostic port has to fouled, but a diag. computer reads it just fine. -cuss anyway, now i'm considering a custom chip the same buddy has.. he says its more powerful anyway. :peelout OK, that about covers it for now.. stay tuned, pics should follow today or tommorrow! THANKS EVERYONE!!!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum.

the 95 powerstrokes are little harder to mod than the rest.really shouldve bought a 96-97.but thats ok we can still mod the crap out of your 95.just some mods needs a few mods to make them work on the 95.a programmer will only work on a truck with the same PCM code the programmer is programmed for.your truck probably has the TEE4 PCM like my 95 has.a programmer for a TDE1 PCM wont work on it.the chip has to be from a 94 1/2-97 truck for it to work on yours.it also has to come from a truck with the same tranny as you have.if you have a 5 speed a chip from and automatic truck will not work on your truck.

if you want a chip contact www.beansdieselperformance.com .ryan will set you up,great guy to deal with!!!just dont expect more than an extra 75 horsepower with stock injectors.

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
thanks bro! the superchips programmer i have says it works on 94-2002 model 7.3s, i guess just not on mine! anyway, i didnt know about the tranny deal on the chips.. that could be a big help. ;Sweet been readin up on a few things.. just got back from radio smack with a pack of resistors so i can try the 10k mod. any other simple mods like this that will work on my beater? anyway, thanks for the reply and input.. i'll post when the 10k is done! :Sly

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
cnomad172 said:
thanks bro! the superchips programmer i have says it works on 94-2002 model 7.3s, i guess just not on mine! anyway, i didnt know about the tranny deal on the chips.. that could be a big help. ;Sweet been readin up on a few things.. just got back from radio smack with a pack of resistors so i can try the 10k mod. any other simple mods like this that will work on my beater? anyway, thanks for the reply and input.. i'll post when the 10k is done! :Sly

welcome! first off if you want to keep up with your pops dodge, forget the 10k mod, call somone like DP tuner of TONY WILDMAN for a chip. then move on to injectors and turbo. But first you need Guages! ;Sweet

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
fo' sho' on the guages! just found out that i'll have enough ratholed to get a tune from on of your boys in the next week or so! anybody have a hookup on guages? i just need the boost and pyro right? also, a turbo shop nearby is tryin to sell me a new turbo with a 115 a/r. the one i have is a 110.. what are your thoughts? i know that basically a smaller a/r turbo is better for less modified engines.. so is bigger better(to a point, of course!) i know a fresh turbo would help regardless since i have 220k on this one. also in the immideate future is an intercooler ( i know it's a pain on this truck, but how many people around me have one?? :Sly ) how does this figure into the turbo size equation? injectors too.. gotta have injectors :rock:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know what you are looking for in terms of final HP to the wheels. An intercooler is not a must, nor is a turbo upgrade unless you are planning on 400+ hp (which out of a 95 is a helluva lot). By the time you need an intercooler you are also going to need fuel system upgrades, HPOP upgrades, tranny upgrades etc etc....

Let us know how much of a horsepower junky you really are and we will point you in the direction of attaining it.

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
bigtime hp ****** ;burnout , definitely want to hit the 400 mark! i always like the underdog anyway.. that why i got an OBS. now i realize i shoulda got a 97 like my brother did.. i can still take him though :Sly i figured on a new turbo, intercooler, and some other stuff.. but i shoulda done more research on the injectors! wow! :puke: oh well, the price you pay, right? so who makes the best tune for my application now? will i be able to use that tune with the new turbo, etc? is retuning an affordable option? :confused: hpop.. what is this, and why do i need to upgrade it? what type of fuel system upgrades are we talkin (besides injectors, and i figured a fuel pump)? y'all are so much help, i 'preciate the hell out of it! :hail

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok best thing for you to do is go visit our sister site www.superdutydiesel.com and look at my posts over there about the HPOP.the HPOP is the high pressure oil pump that drives your injectors.to upgrade it to the better super duty pump or any pump from 96-up you will need to do a mod to the timing cover wich i have done and posted on SDD.you can also check out the pictures link in my signature for pics of some of the stuff in my truck and the video link on SDD in my sig for vids of my truck

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cnomad172 said:
bigtime hp ****** ;burnout , definitely want to hit the 400 mark! i always like the underdog anyway.. that why i got an OBS. now i realize i shoulda got a 97 like my brother did.. i can still take him though :Sly i figured on a new turbo, intercooler, and some other stuff.. but i shoulda done more research on the injectors! wow! :puke: oh well, the price you pay, right? so who makes the best tune for my application now? will i be able to use that tune with the new turbo, etc? is retuning an affordable option? :confused: hpop.. what is this, and why do i need to upgrade it? what type of fuel system upgrades are we talkin (besides injectors, and i figured a fuel pump)? y'all are so much help, i 'preciate the hell out of it! :hail
Alrighty then, that clears a few things up and lets us know what to recommend.

Youre going to need a turbo upgrade w/intercooler (roughly 3 grand), you'll also want to upgrade the intake manifolds to the 3" variety, then your going to need an upgraded fuel system (uhhh,, 800 clams or so) then you will need the upgraded HPOP system (what are they now... 1500-2000?) and then a set of Stg II minimum but prolly Stg II and a halfs. Dont forget youre going to have to beef up your clutch quite abit also and plan of a few sets of tires getting her tuned in.

Rich linked to Beans Diesel Performance already in theis thread. He is a sponsor here but dont take that as us trying to do a sales pitch. The guy really knows his stuff and is currently one of the leaders in PSD performance. I run some of his injectors in my 95. He also has the hookup on getting you the PCM tuning you will need.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cnomad172 said:
hpop.. what is this, and why do i need to upgrade it?

HPOP = High Pressure Oil Pump.

What is it? Our injectors are HEUI (hydraulic/electric unit injectors) which means on top of each injector there is an electric solenoid, the injectors have a fuel side and an oil side. The fuel side is fed by the fuel pump and the oil side is fed by the HPOP. Naturally if you make both sides of that injector bigger you need a better means of feeding it. Thus the need for an upgraded fuel system and an upgrade to the HPOP. The more pressure you can maintain at higher RPMs on the HPOP side of things the better fuel atomization you can achieve which equates to more of the fuel you dump into the combustion chamber actually getting burned and not turning into black soot out the pipe. That all makes horsepower. Same thing on the fuel side of things. If you cant get the fuel into the injectors, well then it never has a chance to get into the engine. This is an overly simplified version but it should give you the general idea.

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
thanks stroker! ;Sweet that made very clear(even on a simple scale) how things work. i'm starting to get the idea why injectors cost so much! been doin a little more research, about to try the fpr shim. i broke dow and bought a fuel injection pressue tester since i'll probably be using more than this once. with a chip, would i have to pull the shim back out? dont want any overkill this early in the game! :fan: thanks again for all your help!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can still run the shimmed FPR with a chip.the chip does nothing wih fuel pressure as it is mechanically controlled.

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
thanks stroker and 94 :thanks: thats kinda what i've been figurin. i have sent beans diesel an email with my intentions and asked for reccomendations on tuning. the whole i-cooler/turbo bit is another story! one guy in town says he has a turbo for me that'll run about 700 bucks, but i'm not sure it will give me the gains i'm lookin for. it's a 1.15 a/r fully balanced with the variable pitch wheel(or something like that). basically sound like a stock turbo freshened up and balanced to me. i have an i-cooler already, just tryin to figure out how to plumb it.. mainly at the intake. does anyone know if somebody makes an intake for this? another local guy said he would plumb the whole job for me for 1200 bucks. i can do most of it myself, i just need that intake(where the turbo meets the i-cooler meets the engine) i feel like a mooch on here, but y'all are so helpful! if anyone has stereo questions, or needs a hookup on that stuff around houston, i can help with that!