here i go again....

zpd307

Reaction score
well, it is below 0 here now and once again, the truck wont start. this is going to be a long winter again. it started yesterday when it was in the low teens, but not this morning. grrrrrrrr!

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you plug in the block heater? will it crank or anything? if cranking, how fast? (can you count the rotations?) Does it try to fire on any cylinders? When was your last tank of fuel? (months ago? assume I don't know how much you drive it)

If everything checks out, you may have to resort to a starting aid (ether) to get it humming along.

Mine took 2 short shots of ether at 15 degrees to start (but I only have one GP that works right now. Really didn't make any weird noises, just rough idle and missing for the first 30-45 seconds.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Gary, have ya tried cycling the GPs again after a couple seconds of cranking?

Any chance of posting a video of the start attempts mainly focusing on rpms?:dunno

How long is the WTS light on for?

Has it been timed properly? When it gets cold and the timing is retarded yer gonna fight it big time.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing the other day. Started at 18ish degrees, but then tried the next day at 6* and no go. Sounded like only one cylinder was wanting to fire up, but the other seven were dead.

zpd307

Reaction score
i dont think my block heater is not working. i would plug it in for hours last year and it still turned over slow, like i had never been plugged in. i asked how to check it, but i cant remember what was said. the batteries were new this feb, new battery cables last year. last tank of fuel was on tuesday morning. gp's cycled normally, i'd say around 10 seconds. forgot to count again, when i just tried. i timed the new pump this fall a 9.7 with the pulse method. the truck never has turned over as fast as id like in the winter. but like i said, i just started it yesterday and it was 10-12 degrees out. this truck just really hates the really cold weather. i got it to sputter on ether a little before the batteries died... i drained the fuel filter and refilled with howes and still no go. i am not sure my fuel heater is working either. plus it is wet around the plug going ino he housing. anyway to check for that? i was really frustrated with the truck last winter, also ended up with cracked ribs from jumping up on the fender to disable the gp relay. just when i was starting to like truck, i am back to ground zero...... i think this is going to be a long winter, again.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
With new batts, and cables already. Alls that is left is a nice Nipondenso Gear Reduction Starter. You'll be firing her up @ -20 with no block heater.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
i drained the fuel filter and refilled with howes and still no go. i am not sure my fuel heater is working either. plus it is wet around the plug going ino he housing. anyway to check for that?

That'll give ya an air intrusion which isn't gonna help much.

IIRC the part number for the fuel heater oring is listed in the parts bin.;Sweet

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
You can check the block heater with a continuity tester if you have one. Connect it to both straight blades on the plug and it should show continuity if the heater is good.

zpd307

Reaction score
does my digital volt/ ohm meter check for continuity? how do i check the fuel heater to see if it is working. about the starter, i do have the gear reduction style. or are yuo referring to an after market one.

Black dawg

Reaction score
you should be able to hear the block heater sizzle through the passenger wheelwell. If its not working I would get it fixed, it will save you lots of parts and aggravation. Also I think the fuel has alot to do with the hard starting with sudden low temps. It seems like when its cold for awhile my truck gets to where it starts better like the fuel got blended differently.

zpd307

Reaction score
what amount of ohms am i looking for. and would i feel heat from around the heater. i agree that the heater will save me a lot of aggravation.

RedTruck

Reaction score
If it's burned out it will read a really high number of ohms. Something in Megaohms probably. If you want I'll check mine when I get home in an hour. The best thing to do right now is plug it in and put your ear down near it. It'll take a few seconds to get hot then it will start sizzling. Sometimes you'll have to wait 10-15 seconds. If it sizzles it's good...like the other fellow mentioned.

I can't help you in troubleshooting your fuel heater. I would assume the same thing would apply there in terms of your meter. Put your meter on it and see what it reads.

You could crack an injector line while you're rolling it over and see if you're getting fuel. That should tell you if you're not getting fuel.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Have you checked your glow plugs?

On edit:

You shouldn't need gp's if your heater is working. It seems unlikely that both would be causing you problems (but it is possible). If you have the means can you try to pull start it? If it fires right up (ie, you don't need to be pulled around the block more than one time) it seems like it would be starter speed related.