Hemi joint-clutch/brake pedel shaft repair

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Question: I searched for some inf. about this, but only found some info. on fixing the hemi joint connecting the clutch linkage to the clutch master cylinder.
On my '90 F350 the under dash shaft that the clutch and brake pedel work on is worn out, especially the left (clutch) side. The bushings are nearly gone as well as the left side bushing area is egg shaped in the aluminum casting. Anyone have a fix or thoughts or better way to fix this? This looks like a major undertaking on this rig.....steering taken out or dropped, pedels taken out, etc, etc.
I picked up new bushings today, but they are very thin. If they are replaced, or replaced with a new aluminum casting it still looks like a future problem waiting to happen again.
If I change out the hemi joint where the shaft connects to the clutch master cyl, this won't be so bad by itself.....actually this isn't worn too bad.
Also the dash metal framework (skeleton frame of dash) right under the headlight switch has busted. This metal is paper thin....too thin to weld safely, I think. Plate & rivit?? This started letting my E-brake act funny when I set it. When looking at this, that is when I found how worn the clutch shaft bushings are.
Any thoughts on a better fix??
I guess that the way things are breaking & busting, 'ol Bessy'll just break plum into when I hit another big bump....leave me sitting in the middle of the road rubbing my butt.......... -cuss -cuss :rotflmao :rotflmao

Thanks, James.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
check THIS out. It was written by our very own dog catcher... he's a great guy, and wears fashionable latex gloves while working on IDI's - just don't make him the Butt of any jokes :rotflmao

check out the rest of the tech articles (everyone, please :rolleyes:)
there is a 'parts bin' where you will find a p/n for the whole clutch/brake pedal assembly when i found an ovalized hole on the go-pedal side of mine (1992).
you posted at TDS too, right? i'd prefert not to try to post a link over there...

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
My hemi-thing joint isn't too bad, but I'm going to repalce it with a hemi joint like Dog Catcher did. But the clutch side hole in the alumnium casting is worn about 1/4 the diameter of the steel shaft the clutch & brake pedal work on. I bought a new alumium casting, but the new nylon 1/16" thick bushings worry me.....another fix-up waiting to happen. I haven't gotten it all out yet to check the steel shaft.
This al. casting with very thin walled nylon bushings look kinda cheesey to me.
I keep thinking about this & about decided to maybe fill in the wallowed, egged hole in the aluminum with JB Weld and then drill it out to fit an oil impregnated thin walled brass bushings I bought, and then press in the brass bushing into the al. casting. If the ID of the brass bushings fit the steel rod, in my mind this should work better or as well as the al. castings with new thin nylon bushings would.
Other option would be drill out the new al. castings to fit my brass bushings.

Either way, if I do drill out, then use a reamer to keep both holes "line bored" I feel better about it than using the factory nylon bushings. Main concern is that there isn't much meat on one side of the holes in the alumnium.
Any thoughts or ideas? I don't want to spend the $55 for the new al. casting, yet don't really mind because comparatively that's just a small part of this project if it fixes things long term. I just don't want to do this again-EVER! Too much junk under my dash & laying on my head hurts my brains!!!

Is my JB Weld thought gonna get me in trouble?
JB, bubble gum, bailing wire, & black tape has got me outa lots of impossible spots before!
James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online