HELP! Truck won't start!

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys so the other day I was driving my truck per usual and it ran great all day running errands around town. At the end of the day, I parked it in the driveway and went inside, later I came out and noticed something dangling underneath and found out my serpentine belt had shredded off and was all over inside the engine bay, with only 2 ribs left to the belt. I removed the pieces, and tried to start the truck. It would turn over and crank fine but would not fire. I tried to press the gas pedal while cranking, I cranked in ten second cycles but still no start. So I figured maybe the belt, replaced the belt the next day. I tried to start again and the first try no luck, but on the second cycle with pushing the gas pedal at the same time the truck finally hesitantly started. I let it idle through high idle and then it ran fine, I went to gas station and filled up, ran my errands for the day with no more problems, started every time after. That was yesterday. Now this morning I go out to start it and again, it would turn and crank but no fire no matter what. I tried to push the gas pedal, I held the pedal before starting it, but NOTHING could get it going and finally after about 5-6 failed cycles I gave up and took my jeep. I noticed when cranking, white smoke came out the exhaust some if that's any importance. What could be wrong? I THINK my fuel sending unit is shot, because my fuel gauge reads empty for both tanks even though they're both filled to the top, so Idk if that might effect it? What could be wrong with my truck guys? I really need it this week for work and this isn't a good start. Thanks,

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be an air intrusion issue. Also it could be a bad lift pump, AKA mechanical fuel pump. If you have someone available to crank it for you try hitting the schrader valve and see if you're getting fuel.

It could also be a glow plug issue.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the schrader valve located and how do I open it to check for fuel? How much should I see for adequate starting?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
The schrader valve is on the side of the fuel filter head, looks like a tire stem, and it may have a cap on it. Only push the little pin in the middle in when you are cranking or running, and it's not a bad idea to have a basin or something to catch the fuel. You should see a good stream of fuel if your lift pump is working. But the way you describe white smoke when cranking makes me think it's glow plugs. That is the unburnt fuel you see so you're probably getting fuel to the injectors. If your block heater works, plugging it in for an hour or so should get it started. This is the situation I'm in right now until I get my glow plugs replaced.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White smoke means your getting fuel but your glow plugs aren't working. Time to do some tests. Possibly the belt beat up some of your wiring maybe? :dunno

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I was thinking more along the lines of GPs too and I think mine have always been tired because every cold start takes forever sometimes and first thing in the morning I get the wts light for 10-15 seconds. Im sure my wiring is ok, thankfully the belt came nowhere near that it was all near fan and radiator so I think im gonna go price shop some new motorcrafts, any good places to buy from cheap? And how hard is the replacement of the gps? Thanks so much guys

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
GP replacement is not hard, but a little tedious. You need to get the wiring out of the way, and I take the hard lines loose at the injectors because the GPs are buried under a few of them. Be sure to blow out all of the GP holes first so you don't get dirt or chicken heads down there. Use a (3/8 inch) deep socket with 1/4 inch drive for the best results.

Many swear by Beru plugs, I have used Bosch and am happy with them. Apparently Autolite, Champion and a few other brands are prone to having the GP tip expand when they fail, causing a lot of headache when it is time to change again.

The plugs are available on Ebay and sometimes have good prices on RockAuto.com. Some of th eposters have found them locally for very good prices. It pays to take the time to make a few phone calls and surf the net a little.

Your problem sounds very much like a GP change will solve it.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GP replacement is not hard, but a little tedious. You need to get the wiring out of the way, and I take the hard lines loose at the injectors because the GPs are buried under a few of them. Be sure to blow out all of the GP holes first so you don't get dirt or chicken heads down there. Use a (3/8 inch) deep socket with 1/4 inch drive for the best results.

Many swear by Beru plugs, I have used Bosch and am happy with them. Apparently Autolite, Champion and a few other brands are prone to having the GP tip expand when they fail, causing a lot of headache when it is time to change again.

The plugs are available on Ebay and sometimes have good prices on RockAuto.com. Some of th eposters have found them locally for very good prices. It pays to take the time to make a few phone calls and surf the net a little.

Your problem sounds very much like a GP change will solve it.

Thanks for the tip! They look to be fairly straight forward but a little tight with the lines like you said. And ill definitely soak them in some pb blaster for a while before removal.

Gatorman: thanks for the link that's a great price. Im going to order all 8 and install next weekend. I don't need to do the relay too do I? BTW does anyone have a good link for the push button glowplug controller mod? I think id like to add this to my truck instead of cycling with key.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! They look to be fairly straight forward but a little tight with the lines like you said. And ill definitely soak them in some pb blaster for a while before removal.

Gatorman: thanks for the link that's a great price. Im going to order all 8 and install next weekend. I don't need to do the relay too do I? BTW does anyone have a good link for the push button glowplug controller mod? I think id like to add this to my truck instead of cycling with key.

look in the tech area for that mod;Sweet

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Nope. Only change out the relay if it goes bad. Its not hard at all to do the push button mod. However I will say this, there is a wiring issue with these trucks that ought to be addressed. There are two yellow wires feeding the glow plug controller that have a bad tendency to melt the harness connector. You ought to go ahead and replace those two wires with a single 2-6 gauge wire directly from the battery/starter solenoid to the controller. give me a second and I will find the thread of when it happened to me.