Help, Truck won't start Anymore

KFinn

Reaction score
So in short, I replaced the lifters push rods and rockers on my RUNNING 7.3L F250 that was given to me and now it won't start. I have gone through several smaller issues to get to the point I am in now. I am now stuck.

Details on issue at bottom thread but main questions directly below.

• If i've got air in my fuel/water filter is there a quick easy way to bleed it or resolve?
  • How can I measure voltage all the way from the battery to glow plugs? AKA what is expected and where in each inline device do I measure
  • How can I check fuel pressure?
  • Are there other reasons it wouldn't be starting?
  • If I get some of these things checked is there someone local to Denver that would be willing to come to my house to help? could pay small fee

So the truck was running but had worn parts which had been checked and verified before replacing that it was needed. Second. I had the truck torn down for a month or so during the process, so I guess possible it could have crap from air in engine?? I made sure I put correct torque on all rockers and valve covers and such. When I had it all back together I tried starting it and was dumping fuel all over the drive way. I had a couple split hoses. Replaced and was still pouring. Found some more hoses that were just cracked but enough to cause leaking. replaced and has some small fuel dripping. Found that I had an injector that had been cross threaded from the fuel rail. Replaced that and still had some leakage. found a bad injector fuel return cap and a couple missing O rings on some other caps. Replaced all that and no longer losing fuel. no start though. So I found some bad glow plug claps or fittings and replaced. Still nothing. So plugged block into AC power for a few hours on an 80degree day and had it jumping from another truck to ensure battery power after charging both batteries for 8 hours and no luck. :dunno :dunno :mad:

Now I am getting desperate as My motorcycle is my only running vehicle and Winter is coming.

Also I tried to read all the tech articles prior to posting to reduce some ignorance.

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
First off welcome to OB. Second, you posted in the wrong forum. You have an IDI , Not a Powerstroke. But I'll try to help. Couple of questions, Did you disturb the Injection Pump timing(ie remove IP)? If not, Do you have any smoke from the tailpipe while cranking? How fast is the engine turning over while cranking? they need to spin quite quickly to get them to fire. Lets start there and see where to go.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok first youre in the wrong forum.you need to go down one more.ill hit the notify moderator button so they can put you in the correct forum where you will get more answers.

you say you got fuel?is your filter full or empty?loosen all injector lines at the injectors and crank her over.see if they are squirting fuel/air or nothing.if its squirting fuel you got something seriously wrong or bad glow plugs.if its squirting air,you may have a leak somewhere allowing air into the fuel system or you havent cranked her over enough to prime the fuel system.crank it over for a couple seconds,let starter cool and do it again.it should purge the air from the injector pump and injectors after doing this a few times.if its squirting nothing check the wires on the injector pump.make sure they are on and on right.give them a little wiggle to clean any possible corrosion off the connector.

the guys downstairs will probably have some better answers for you

KFinn

Reaction score
Sorry. I have been reading for the past couple weeks in the IDI section but last night I was in a rush to just type it up and post. So I hit the wrong section. Mea Culpa.

KFinn

Reaction score
Did you disturb the Injection Pump timing(ie remove IP)? If not, Do you have any smoke from the tailpipe while cranking? How fast is the engine turning over while cranking? they need to spin quite quickly to get them to fire. Lets start there and see where to go.
Answering from last to first question.

It appears to be cranking at normal speed that it did when it was running from what memory serves me.

I don't see any smoke from the tailpipe when in the cab but I'll see if a neighbor can tell me more accurately.

I dont know if I disturbed the injection pump timing. To gain the clearance and access we removed the filter, the pump and all rails, and the throttle cable.

KFinn

Reaction score
you say you got fuel?is your filter full or empty?
loosen all injector lines at the injectors and crank her over.see if they are squirting fuel/air or nothing.if its squirting fuel you got something seriously wrong or bad glow plugs.if its squirting air,you may have a leak somewhere allowing air into the fuel system or you havent cranked her over enough to prime the fuel system.crank it over for a couple seconds,let starter cool and do it again.it should purge the air from the injector pump and injectors after doing this a few times.if its squirting nothing check the wires on the injector pump.make sure they are on and on right.give them a little wiggle to clean any possible corrosion off the connector.
The filter was probably close to empty when I installed it. I can't imagine it still being empty or have any air in it as I have been trying to start it for weeks and cranking quite a bit with no start. My friend told me to crank for about 30 ro 40 seconds and then let the starter cool for 2 to 5 min then try again. I have been trying this for about 5 times a day in one weekend and then prior evenings trying 2 or 3 times after correcting the fuel return system issues.
I will also have to try loosening all the injectors and seeing what that means. Question though about this procedure... If I loosen them and try it and stop. isn't it bad to have them getting air in there after I finish cranking and take a couple minutes to tighten them all back up? I guess my question was do I have to have someone tightening them back up as I crank once they see the results?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
uh oh,Did you remove the pump with the timing gear cover and timing gear attached?If so your in a world of trouble now!your way outta time if you did.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Assuming you didn't remove the IP gear cover and you got the pump back in place with the scrib marks lined up - fill the filter with fuel, crack 1 or 2 lines and crank it until you see fuel from those 2 lines. If it still won't start open 2 different lines and try it again....Sounds like you just have air in the system. Once all the injectors are bled and it still won't start I would look at the GP circuit.

eyoung429

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KFinn- Please answer the prior questions on if you removed the the pump with the timing gear cover and timing gear attached.

If not, I have some time available Thursday evening ( I have a couple of KDP's and my wife's b-day between now and then) that I can come over and take a look at what's going on with your rig.

Let me know. I work in Denver off Havanna and 51st. and live in Elizabeth.

[email protected]

;Sweet

KFinn

Reaction score
I did post a reply between post 8 and 9 with a picture of where I removed what. It was there last night... I wonder if it got deleted.... Grrrr well hold on let me ssh tunnel into home PC and see if I still have it on that computer and if so I will copy and paste it.

KFinn

Reaction score
Ahhh ha... I knew it... I did post twice as did someone else post once and theirs got removed too. :dunno

Anyway... here is the skinny

Attachments

• post.jpg
    post.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Copy of IMAGE_002.jpg
    Copy of IMAGE_002.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 19

eyoung429

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm... after removing the front cover (I am guessing that you did it to fix an oil leak???) did you remove the IP and left the gear in place or did you just go hog wild and start pulling everything?

If you did pull the gear, get ready to re-open the front of that mill as we will have to go and check the timing the hard way.

If you pulled the IP and left everything in the front alone, all we need to do is time the ip.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Timing article.htm

KFinn

Reaction score
Hm... after removing the front cover (I am guessing that you did it to fix an oil leak???) did you remove the IP and left the gear in place or did you just go hog wild and start pulling everything?

If you did pull the gear, get ready to re-open the front of that mill as we will have to go and check the timing the hard way.

If you pulled the IP and left everything in the front alone, all we need to do is time the ip.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Timing article.htm

Can't get to the link at work. surf controlled but I will check at home.

HOwever I don't know all the part names of things under the hood but I do know that we left the oval shaped thing that the cover attaches to in place. I didn't muck with any of that other than taking the cover off to un bolt the IP from it. Then we put it back again without really removing anything or changing anything that I am aware of and put it back together, resealed the cover.

There was no oil leak.
Thanks for all the help so far.

eyoung429

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, sounds like we can go elsewhere for the problem. Are you going to be home on thurs?

pm'ing you.