help! truck won’t start!

94F350Fred

Reaction score
Hey guys… I need your help!

For the past two days the truck has needed a jump to start and tonight it won’t start at all. I was going to take it in tomorrow to have it looked at but it didn’t make it! Please help!

The dash lights up, then after the turn the ignition light goes off, the battery needle starts to jump and then when I go to start it all it does is click with no attempt to turn the engine.

I hope and pray this is a minor issue… for the past day we have been working on cleaning and detailing everything on the truck including the engine bay and undercarriage. I even got the undercarriage painted black. It did start after he engine cleaning twice and both times it needed a jump!

Any thought or help is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Fred

94F350Fred

Reaction score
Take the batteries out and have them tested.

I will do that for sure! But I was hoping to at least get it started just to be able to move it home! I took it to a detailer’s shop where I could wash the engine and be able to dispose of the waste properly! He (detailer) is willing to let it sit over night but tomorrow I have to have it out!

Fred

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Sounds like dead batteries.

If you know it starts by jumping it, then why don't you just jump the truck to get it moved?

94F350Fred

Reaction score
If you know it starts by jumping it, then why don't you just jump the truck to get it moved?

I have been trying but all I get now is a click noise and no cranking at all from the starter. I have the batteries on a charger but I doubt it will help.

It sounds like I may have a ground issue? I have been researching and that’s what I have been able to come up with. I will look into the solenoid as suggested.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My bet is the starter is burned up.... anytime you have low voltage feeding the starter it heats up to the point of melting so.... Another starter and a couple of batteries and your on your way again... You knew this was happening and it finally got you. Testing the batteries is a great idea. All the cable ends need to be clean too. Both the positive and negatives. If a well charged battery wont start the rig then you need to "find" the reason... For me its now going to be the starter. Ebay has a great gear reduction offered from DB electric... Several members here have them and really like them. Again... Low voltage to the starter kills them from the heat buildup fast. The slower it turns the hotter it gets... Its a tuff thing to stop doing... People think just a little bit more... Then it stops because its done.... If we could see the amp drws and the heat buildup we would stop before the damage is done but.... We don't... Its the same kinda feeling you got when someone told you to stop doing that or you'll go blind... So now you need to waer glass's.......:angel:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the above are guesses. Good guessing but still guesses. I would not spend a dime until I did some testing.

94F350Fred

Reaction score
I would not spend a dime until I did some testing.

I agree and hope I don’t have to but it may be inevitable -cuss Can I push start the truck if I had to? Never had to do it on a diesel, especially one of this size! We got the man power or I may use my F150. Thought I ask incase it’s a no no!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No harm in push/pull starting.

I never tried to push-start an IDI, nor was I ever around when it was done.

A Cummins, however, fires almost instantaneously when roll-started; they fire so quickly/easily that it is imperative that one has a locking kill-cable and always leaves it locked in the kill position when the engine is not running.

I have roll-started many a diesel tractor. ;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have rolled started these trucks several times. It's a sight to see. A long gradual hill will work. Let it get up some speed, put it in 4th gear, and then let out on the clutch. Of course you do not have the glow plugs going, so it will turn over and turn over, and if it will keep turning over, you will hear it start to kick in, one clyinder, two cylinders, and it will finally start trying to run on it's own. Just keep the accel pedal down till it takes off.

The funny part is the rearview mirror. You will never see so much smoke come out of a vehicle in your life :)