help tried to start it to smoke by turbo

bowhunter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
newbie to all this.
94 7.3 idi turbo.
if you remember the truck sat for a while but fired off with starter fluid

changed all fluid, and the oil cooler and have been flushing system. took a day off and started back again today.

filled radiator and tried to fire it off.. nothing, cranked for a few, rested for a few , cranked and noticed smoke from eng area.

the back of the turbo or in that area is smoking. it finally stopped but what is that?

scared to try it again. why is it not starting now? why is it smoking?

Last edited:

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the smoke smell like? Exhaust/unburnt fuel? Or like burning/melting plastic, such as wiring?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would bet you have an exhaust leak at the down pipe flange.

If you are using starting fluid, you do have the glow plug system unhooked right? Make sure to unhook main power to the glow plug relay.

While cranking, purge the air from the filter head valve. Also, crack all of the injector feeds. Crank it over until you see fuel coming from the injector feeds and tighten them back up.

Check all the wiring, etc in that area and make sure its not getting hot. Also, check the power cable to the starter and the ground cables and make sure they are in good shape.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if it stopped smoking all of a sudden, that leans toward the wiring being an issue. Something might have cooked and with the circuit being fried there is no longer power going through it to cause more smoke. Just an idea though.

bowhunter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didn't disconnect glow plugs. but i only hit the fluid on the filter with a small amount , not direct into the turbo. guess i better search that out and see what happens

i fired it off and ran it till it warmed up to drain radiator again. yes i did hit it with some juice. before i read this.

do i still need to crack the lines or since it ran is it ok?
seems it starts fine if i do it daily but if it sits she will not go.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case you haven't heard:
Do ensure the glowplug system is disabled before using ether. Hot glowplugs will ignite the ether long before the combustion timing is due, possibly causing major engine damage.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have a gear reduction starter on it. A direct drive one will start to rotate too slow as it wears out.

bowhunter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
think the starter is OEM, it spins over nice. I will not use the either anymore.. ( least i hope not) i assume i can just disconnect the power from the unit on the passenger side vavle cover. least that is where i hear the clicking coming from.. it does go on for at least a minute before it stops clicking.

THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I occasionally have to use ether myself, but my glowplugs are manually controlled. If it doesn't want to start after cranking for 10 seconds, I let it sit for about 30 seconds to ensure the glowplugs are cooled off and give it the slightest blast of ether and it lights right off with no ether knock.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the signal wire from the GP relay (the push on connector) and it'll disable the GP. Should be on the inner fender well.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the GP system ASAP. You can blow the prechambers out of the heads and cause some serious damage. With the glow plugs disabled, it wont hurt anything to use a little bit.

As far as the injector lines, if you have had it running, I wouldnt worry about it.

Did the smoke happen before or after you ran it?

You can crack the lines with it running to purge any left over air out but its not a must.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the GP system ASAP. You can blow the prechambers out of the heads and cause some serious damage. With the glow plugs disabled, it wont hurt anything to use a little bit.

As far as the injector lines, if you have had it running, I wouldnt worry about it.

Did the smoke happen before or after you ran it?

You can crack the lines with it running to purge any left over air out but its not a must.

You cannot blow the precups out of these cylinder heads. The deck surface covers part of the precup when cylinder head is mounted on short block, preventing that from ever happening. You will, however, blow the tips off the glow plugs at the least if ether & glows are being used improperly.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cannot blow the precups out of these cylinder heads. The deck surface covers part of the precup when cylinder head is mounted on short block, preventing that from ever happening. You will, however, blow the tips off the glow plugs at the least if ether & glows are being used improperly.

Not my video, but definitely informative...

http://youtu.be/s_LWm4g35Jw