Help selling Diego

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All! The faithful mule is on the selling block. Of course, I listed it in the Marketplace here on OB, but I was going to list it on Craigslist as well, heck, that's where I found it! Imagine my surprise when I went to the Craigslist site and found out that they are now charging $5 per add!! My normal strategy, since both here in NY and down in FL, we're in pretty rural areas is to post to multiple regions. I'd post to Long Island and if I got a few interested party's, I'd make the drive and visit friends taking the bus back if it sold. But if I'm going to spend $30-40 on Craigslist, I thought I might ask you guys if you've had good luck with other online auto sales sites. Auto Trader, Cars.com and the like. any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Here's the story of the old mule if you have interest:
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/diego-is-for-sale.86390/

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Try Facebook marketplace too. You'll get a lot of initial messages but no further replies. I think i sold my last car through the FB ad, not CL (before they started charging)

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try Facebook marketplace too. You'll get a lot of initial messages but no further replies. I think i sold my last car through the FB ad, not CL (before they started charging)

Thanks!
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by
"a lot of initial messages but no further replies." How does that help me sell? Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know anything about FB marketplace...

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
"a lot of initial messages but no further replies." How does that help me sell? Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know anything about FB marketplace...
You'll get a lot of "tire kickers", just like CL. Or people will say they'll show up but never do. Don't give up. I've sold several things on FB marketplace, just takes time. Others may disagree but I always post as much info as possible. It annoys me when I look at a listing and it says "good condition, runs great, new tires, rust in usual spots". Doesn't really tell me anything. Provide more detail, might get more people who mean business.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Thanks!

It doesn't help. Just warning you so you don't get so annoyed when you get a lot of initial messages but no follow ups. Sometimes people accidentally send an automated "Is this item still available?" type of message when they view the listing on a phone and accidentally click the "send message" button without realizing they did so. I've done it myself a time or two.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve heard the same about offer up...

I will echo the same as above about Facebook Marketplace.

When I sold my 88 earlier this year, I listed it on marketplace, since around my area Craigslist is just about dead...... I had dozens of messages about it within 24 hours. A bunch of tire kickers.... had a few “on the way” commitments that never showed. I had one show up that was mainly interested in the flatbed. He came and crawled all over and under the truck. Spent nearly an hour looking over the truck. Never started or drove it, and then tried to explain to me why the truck was junk and I should just part it out, one excuse was the oil was “gritty”. No, it was about due for a change, but definitely not gritty. He wanted the flatbed and was told it was being sold as a running, driving truck before he came out. I also had several, will you take $*** amount messages,right off the bat. I was asking $1500 OBO, and had several will you take $600 or $800, no other questions, and when they were told no, they would get pissed......

However, I was patient, and let the ad ride for a while. It was close to a month, but I had a guy contact me. He set a time, showed up as agreed, spent nearly an hour looking at, then driving it. Gave me almost my asking price, and I happily handed him the title.

Be patient and the right buyer will come.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Depending where you live, sometimes a for sale sign in the windshield works wonders. I sold a truck that way for my asking price years ago. Someone driving by saw it and stopped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.