Help please. 86 f250 6.9 idi non-turbo (another gpr thread)

86-69idi

Reaction score
I bought the truck but didn't do the wiring.
It has a manual glow plug setup already installed but the wiring is incredibly messy. So I'm attempting to get the manual set up working again but I'm confused as the wires were already disconnected...

So big question is... Which one is my glow plug relay that the purple wire would need to be removed from and which is my starter relay?

Also any other info would be appreciated as to where any wires may go.

Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

silverrex4

Reaction score
that's it, the black one on the fender. the bottom silver relay is for the starter with the heavy gauge red wire. those go to the batteries and starter. the glo plug controller is located on, if your standing looking at the truck, to the right behind the intake closer to the break booster. what seems to be the problem? is it definitely the relay? check glo plugs first with a meter. and always use motorcraft gloplugs. im sure one is power, one goes to the glo plug controller. and if its a manual set up, there has to be a switch in the cab that will use ground or power, depending on switch. get the meter out and start testing. also just follow wires back to each location. you will get it pretty quick. keep us updated

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to be contrary, but the silver one on the wheel liner is actually the glow plugs relay. Finding a fender mounted style starter relay capable of handling what our starters pull is very expensive and unpractical. Idi starters do what many starters do and run a constant 0/4 wire directly to the starter and the black one on the fender well controls the signal wire that feeds the actual starter relay mounted on the starter.

Your relay wiring actually looks pretty close to factory w/ manual switch installed, the two larege reds should go over to the engine where they would split by side and run down the manifold.

The single large red should connect to battery positive, and the broken black appears to be ground. It seems to split off , follow that wire and confirm what it needs or has currently. The main mess appears to be unrelated for the most part from what the pics show.

I'm not 100% on this as all I've ever worked with are the newer trucks but I'm pretty sure the blue wire that's on the hot side with the two larger wires ( correct if it calls for hot) calls for ground to illuminate the dash light, someone with more experience on the bullnose please correct me on that.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
As mentioned above the starter relay is the one on the fender and the one down on the wheel well liner is the glow plug relay.

The actual glow plug controller was on the back side of the drivers side head. All it did was send 12 volt power to the solenoid to switch it on.

silverrex4

Reaction score
very sorry, mine idk why is located on the fender, i have to move it. the two lost above is correct. i hope i didnt make you confused. let us know how you made out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk