Help me with a certain type of Ford L series

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
At first I thought you were referring to the "constructor" series from the '80s :confused:

Had the secondary small access hatches in the tilt front.

{sorry, can't load a pic from work}

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weren't "Construktors" Autocars, Whites, or Brockways??

How can one find out what years were best for the LTL9000, what engine/trans options were available, what rears, etc. I guess it'd be tough since they're no longer made.

DBogo

Reaction score
Duke said:
Weren't "Construktors" Autocars, Whites, or Brockways??
autocar construcktor 2
You must be registered for see images

white construcktor

ive never seen a brock construcktor or a ford constructor

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I still got a sweet spot for Autocars. So tough lookin'. ;Sweet

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
The International is junk I wouldn't consider the 2500 and 2600 series trucks. As for Ford look in the 86-to about 97. I would also avoid used truck tractors they are not spec'ed heavy enough for dump applications.

For a dump you should have a chassis with a heavy single frame or a double frame. The rear axles should me minimum 44,000lbs the front axle minimum 16,000lb but 18,000lb front is prefered. The rear suspension of choice here is Hendrickson spring but any walking beam suspension is good no air ride for us.

We don't use lift axles here a tandem axle will haul legally 15 tons its all you want to carry more than that your just accelerating the wear and tear on your truck. We do run 16' boxes and a wheelbase of 222-230 I think its for spreading the weight. I know in the east you guys use tandems with 13' boxes with high sides for us thats too much concentrated weight over the tandems never get enough onto the front axle.

I would also avoid the old brands that are not even built anymore because you still need parts for those trucks. I suggest stick with Ford,Mack,Western Star,Kenworth,Pete,International and last Fruitliner.

Unless you are really mechanically inclined and have a good shop to work in stay away from the older trucks that become fixer uppers you don't want to spend more time wrenching then making money.

DBogo

Reaction score
Duke said:
...I still got a sweet spot for Autocars. So tough lookin'. ;Sweet
your not alone i do too :thumbsup:
i like these but they look alot liek petes not that i mind that

Sbrem

Reaction score
Duke said:
Sbrem,

How does the 425 CAT do when she's loaded?

Has it been a good truck?

It does alright loaded, but not as well as I think it probably should. Unfortunantly the company I work for is not as big on maintinance as they should be. I think it could use a good tune up or something. Over all it is a good truck though. I think its a 1996 give or take a year. It is definently a better road truck then an off road truck. The front end is heavy and it really sinks into anything soft. And being a tri axle the lift axle gets hung up on stuff easily even when fully lifted. It does have full locking rears which helps quite a bit.

Stephen

Sbrem

Reaction score
DBogo said:
or this LTL9000 this one has got a 3406C 425hp

If you stretch that a bit, make it a tri axle and add a dump body that is like the one I drive. Same color even.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sbrem said:
It does alright loaded, but not as well as I think it probably should. Unfortunantly the company I work for is not as big on maintinance as they should be. I think it could use a good tune up or something. Over all it is a good truck though. I think its a 1996 give or take a year. It is definently a better road truck then an off road truck. The front end is heavy and it really sinks into anything soft. And being a tri axle the lift axle gets hung up on stuff easily even when fully lifted. It does have full locking rears which helps quite a bit.

Stephen

Sounds like it could use some 445 floats up front.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Supersingles help to a point but they still sink if the ground is too soft. The main use for supersingles is load carrying capacity so the front axle can have the 20,000lb rating. The DOT goes by so many lbs for inches of tire width I forget the numbers but 445/65 22.5 is what is required for 18,000 and 20,000lb axles.

The supersingles turn into ski's when your into mud so you try turn the front of the truck just drifts.

Trucks with 14L power are front heavy nothing you can do about it because you do need the power in a tandem.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pacific said:
The International is junk I wouldn't consider the 2500 and 2600 series trucks. "

Why do you say that? With an N-14 and a Fuller 9 speed, I thought it'd make a good local lauling tandem.

I thought it might make a decent work truck for a low price.

Thing ya gotta remember, KW's & Pete's are nice, but VERY expensive and kind of impractical for local excavating work.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I have been doing alot of wrenching on a 2600 Series International dump and I find it really more frustrating to work on over the L-9000s.

The biggest frustration with the International is trying deal with the awfull wiring its not color coded its undersized and lots of dumb things done. I dread every time I have to remove the dash panels to change dash lights or other stuff because its a rats nest behind the panels.

There are numerous mechanical things that drive me up the wall. Had to-do some front suspension work on the truck it took me all day to.

I prefer working on the Fords except for the one L series with half of the engine under the cab.

The 9spd isn't really that good for a dump application you really need a 8LL or a 13spd.

Would I buy a International tandem after working on the one I have been and it would be no. A International would be alright if you didn't have the task of fixing them because a International drives alright.

Kenworth,Western Star and Mack are the top vocational trucks and are not that expensive. As for Pete they are too expensive they are mainly highway trucks. If I was looking for a good dump truck Western Star would be the choice they are slightly cheaper then Kenworth but just as tough.

If I was in the market for a tandem axle dump it would be a good low kilometerage LT-9000 or 4964 Western Star.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online