Help me with a certain type of Ford L series

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A company near me has a really sweet Ford triaxle. I think it's called an "LTL9000" or maybe "LT9000".

Here's something like what I'm talkin' 'bout:

http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/2/9/79294129.htm

In my opinion, it's a sweet looking truck. It has a much longer nose than an L-9000, almost like a Kenworth hood.

I'd like to buy one in ~ a year and maybe fix it up, but I don't see many. I hear you can find them with 425-450 HP CAT 3406's in them.

Anyone seen, driven, worked on one? Anyone know more about them? ;Sweet

Last edited:

Sbrem

Reaction score
I drive one quite often. The tri axle dump at work is an LTL9000. It is one of the main trucks I drive. Its got a 425 Cat and an 8LL. I like it. The long hood can be kind of a PITA is tight places, but tri axles arent really meant for tight places anyways. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it sometime. I really like the looks of them. They also made an LTL9000 Aeromax which also had the long hood, but it was a sloped hood instead of square and was kind of goofy lookng IMO. I think the Aeromax may have also had a set back axle, but I'm not sure about that.

Stephen

DBogo

Reaction score
if its one like this its an LTS9000
You must be registered for see images

or this LTL9000 aeromax

or this LTL9000 this one has got a 3406C 425hp

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
A LTL has the largest hood it usually has 4 headlights over the L and LT 2 headlights. The LTL is a good truck its what I learned on it was 3406 power (425) with 13spd behind it.

The L series has the short hood so with 400 Cummins or 3406 power half the engine is under the cab and there is a decent size dog house in the cab. The LT has a longer good most of the engine is infront of the firewall there is a small doghouse in the cab. I can't remember but I think the whole engine is infront of the firewall and there is no doghouse in the cab. The hood on the LTL trucks is frigging heavy there is no way of tilting it by grabbing it by the front. You have to lift the hood at the back corner of the hood to tilt the hood.

People bash Ford Louis they figure they were cheaply built trucks which they are not. They are a tough enough truck you get one that was originally spec'ed as a dump it will be good.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sbrem said:
I drive one quite often. The tri axle dump at work is an LTL9000. It is one of the main trucks I drive. Its got a 425 Cat and an 8LL. I like it. The long hood can be kind of a PITA is tight places, but tri axles arent really meant for tight places anyways. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it sometime. I really like the looks of them. They also made an LTL9000 Aeromax which also had the long hood, but it was a sloped hood instead of square and was kind of goofy lookng IMO. I think the Aeromax may have also had a set back axle, but I'm not sure about that.

Stephen

Sbrem,

How does the 425 CAT do when she's loaded?

Has it been a good truck?

DBogo, the last picture (the red one) is a dynamite lookin' truck! :thumbsup:

I'd love to have a tandem or tri like that. ;Sweet

Was 425-450 the limit on them? I wonder if they ever offered the 3408 CAT in one of them? :hail

Last edited:

DBogo

Reaction score
ehh :hail

-Drool

its only 8k
1987 FORD LTL9000, Standard Cab, 3406B Caterpillar 425 HP, Engine Brake, Air Ride Suspension, 4.56 Ratio, 246" WB, 22.5 Tires, Spoke Wheels, Tandem Axle, 633,000 miles, Stk #2871122, $8,000

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The red LTL9000 :hail is only 7 miles from where I live in Bethel, PA!!!!! :love:

I wonder if he'd take a deposit and hold it for me for a year!! LOL

Is that wheelbase to compacted for a triaxle? I take it the first rear axle is air lift? :confused:

Last edited:

Ray Freeman

Reaction score
We had lots of LTL's here with Cummins and Cat engines. They had a real good reputation. Still see them around a bit. I've never seen a triaxle one here. Is it a tri drive or does it have a lazy axle?

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
You need a Ford with the 222wb so you can fit the propersize box on the truck. A 16'6" box fits good on a 222wb some guys run 15' box but its a little short for the legal payload of 15 tons.

The 425 Cat is more than enough power for general use start getting anymore power then you break things. You want good gearing instead of big power and too tall gears meant for highway. You definatly want a JAKE a truck without is alot more work to drive plus you burn up brakes faster.

Most Cat 3406s have retarders which are quiet they hold back pretty good I think the only problem I heard of is engine oil takes a beating.

The older Fords mainly came with Cummins like the L-10 350-400 Big cam the 3406 was used more in the LTL trucks. As for working on the engines in the L series with the 400 Cummins shoved half under the cab can be a real ;Pissed

The contractor I work for has a L-9000 with the 400 Cummins shoe horned under the hood. You try do anything on the engine is a PITA because its cramped. To fit the engine under the hood Ford had to tilt the engine to the passenger side to make it fit cookoo

The truck steers good and climbs out of places good you do get cooked out of the cab because of half of the engine is in the cab the doghouse doesn't repell any heat. The LT-9000 the contractor has is nicer to work on atleast the engine isn't under the cab so much and its easier to access the parts. The truck is quieter in the cab and cooler too because most of the engine is forward of the firewall.

The LTL 9000 I drove and took my CDL on it steered okay it does have a huge hood.

I would buy a LT-9000 Ford my second choice would be a Western Star the Kenworths just don't turn very well unless you get into the T-800s which are expensive.

As for buying a older International it wouldn't be on my consideration list I work on one and its a PITA. International did some goofy things if you ever had to pull the dash apart on one or try deal with the wiring you know what I mean.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a new dash and have messed with the wiring in the cab of my IH....it is "challenging" to say the least, but do-able.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
When my buddy still drove OTR, his boss had a LTL9000. I'm thinking it was 425 CAT 13 spd, grey in color. Nice truck. As a matter of fact, I turned the flywheel for it years back when he was doing a clutch job. He needed it for monday morning(It was sunday) and since I work at a machine shop I brought it in and turned it for him.

I like the styling of them, big, brawny and tough!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online