Help me take the plunge!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blossom-
you mentioned you already have a ATS on your truck. which generation is it? If the truck was mime, I would be taking a look at making what I have already work. If the ATS you have is a wastegated unit, there is room for improvement...namely an IC(intercooler). On hard pulls, it helps keep your exhaust temps managable. Also, of all three makes, ATS wastegated turbos is one of the most user servicable. You don't have to remove as much on the turbo assy to work on the injection system. Hypermax is the next most user friendly. Banks is dead last. Get a hold of "Huff" before you make a big spending decision, at least he can take a look at your truck and give you an opinion in person.
As far as your E4DOA is concerned, I don't care for them at all. imho, even though a C-6 and a overdrive unit( either USG or GV) is initially more expensive, the peace of mind is positively priceless. But if you do decide to stay with the E4DOA, the "bauminator" gadget that Baja is crowing about is worth looking into.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installing a turbo yourself is not that hard of a job. You can do the whole Banks Sidewinder for lots under $3000 if you do your own installation. As for the price, lots of these old turcks are comming on the market with sidewinders already on them. I bought one off of ebay for less than $1500 with a good sidewinder. Since I wanted to make a driver out of it, I have lots of money in it now, but it had a good engine, transmission, transfer case, and banks sidewinder. It mainly needed front end work and since it was a long way from home I had to pay to get it working for the drive home(2800 miles Fargo to Anchorage).

Good luck

akoldnav

Blossom

Reaction score
towcat said:
blossom-
you mentioned you already have a ATS on your truck.
HAD one previous owner had the replacemnt motor put back in without the turbo.

there is room for improvement...namely an IC(intercooler). On hard pulls, it helps keep your exhaust temps managable.

Also, of all three makes, ATS wastegated turbos is one of the most user servicable.

I'm not set on the banks picked it cause someone said it was the most complete.
Get a hold of "Huff" before you make a big spending decision, at least he can take a look at your truck and give you an opinion in person.

Who is Huff?
As far as your E4DOA is concerned, I don't care for them at all. imho, even though a C-6 and a overdrive unit( either USG or GV) is initially more expensive, the peace of mind is positively priceless.
Is the C-6 with OD, a simple bolt up? Or does it :smash: hammer work?
But if you do decide to stay with the E4DOA, the "bauminator" gadget that Baja is crowing about is worth looking into.
thanks SO much guys for your suggestions.

I put a foto of big blue in my garage.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful truck! I love that blue... I hope the green that goes on my truck looks as radiant.

Blossom

Reaction score
OT, just wanted to brag, my pup picked up his first hunt test title today. If all goes well next weekend he will finish another and I can get to what you guys call my shade tree mechanics clothes on and get to solving the truck problems.

Hey Hoover! My Handsome Hooligan!
B.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
well I hope I can help you.There is no reason thatyour truck can,t do what your asking.For the low mileage you drive a few minor mods and you will be fine.
1. Don't go crazy with turning up the fuel. your engine will last longer.A turbo is great .
2. A PSD wont be that much cheaper if at all,to run fuel wise your IDi is very economical.
3. keep the trans cool "Big oil cooler"
4. Driving habits will make a big difference.
I swear by the E40D many don't but I have over 200,000 miles most of them towing around 20 to 25,000 gross weight (trailer and truck combined)
As you get to each modification post here,you will get all the info you need.
You have a cool project in front of you but a fun and rewarding one.I will never forget when I was laoding 3 Farmpro tractors at a dealer one time.They were loading the owners trailer at the same time.He was telling me how the PSD pulled "there isn't an IDI that will get near this pulling a load."I didn't say a word-figured I better not get my self into an embarrasing situatiom cookoo ) He has just put in a chip and all I dunno what. Both 30 ft trailers he may have weighed 3,000 more. But he was telling me massive torque and HP specs. Both loads were going thru Indiana he to Ohio myself to Maine and New Hampshire. When we were loaded we left figuring to stop in St Louis for coffee.I told him don't wait for me.If I ain't there go ahead.
Off we went up I44 he pulled away but it took him 15 or 20 minutes to get out of sight.I didn't put my pedal all the way to the metal(I gotta keep my truck running,beating it doesn't make money) but I didn't play either.when we got to St louis he was just getting served.Also he was amazed because he had an unturboed IDI a few yaers ago.
So in 200 miles his big engine only gained 10 to 15 minutes max.How much should we pay for a 15 minute lead. Oh yes He bought an IDi later for a second truck.
And "Now you'e heard the rest of the story" Mr Bill :draw

gandalf

Reaction score
In reading through the thread I see that several people have directed you toward Huff, though nobody has done more than offer the name. I just looked but can't find him on this forum. I could have sworn he was active here, but I can't find him. Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet this morning. I did, however, find him on the other site, the one from which most of us migrated. Look in the User List at www.thedieselstop.com . I believe he is a dealer for both Banks and Hypermax, located in Hanford CA, just a bit south of Fresno. His reputation here on the forums is very good.

Thinking of buying another truck? A new one? Payments are reported to be $600+ each month, every month, for a long long time. Then you have to deal/contend with the computerized controls. Buy a newer used truck? Thats always a bit risky. There's usually a reason it's being sold. I'd suggest sticking with what you have, with the known problems, and fixing/upgrading it. Its a good looking truck, and seems to have only two fairly easily fixable problems.

There. Thats my $.02 worth for the morning. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online