Help me take the plunge!

Blossom

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

been sifting through the pros and cons to put a banks sidewinder on my truck. She ain't worth much on the open market. 16 yrs old.1990 Ford 7.3 SC LB 4x4 4.10 gears Lariat XLT.
I bought her in 99 for 12K, had a new motor with 17K and 100K on the total truck. Since then new driveshaft, front rotors, A/C switched to 134, Revo's with new wheels, starter, whole battery cable, and a kick ass stereo. Gemtop workmaster topper

New Motor now has 50K. She needs more umph to pull my 19 ft airstream in the Sierras. 5000lbs. The auto tranie #2 is beginning to slips some.
My worries is investing the 4K for the turbo/install and burning up the motor. I see the tranie going to cost some bucks one day too. Is this throwing money after bad? Not gonna get it back in this lifetime. Drive big blue about 7K miles a year.

OR I'm toying with finding a newer computerized 99-2001 7.3 PSD and begin the payment game again. See the PSD may offer better mileage, but with a new frontier of possible problems. Right now low mileage PSD of these years around here are going for 25-20K.

Worried about where the price of diesel is going too. Today paid 2.67/gal. who knows what stricter emissions will take the price.

Please I tried to bounce this stuff off my friends but they don't care/ or understand why I still have this old truck with its peeling Ford paint. Or why I like diesels like I do. I know the BOOB fellowship does understand. I'm torn in alliance, and sentimental too.

Appreciate your guidance.

Blossom

:angel:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blossom said:
Hi everyone!

been sifting through the pros and cons to put a banks sidewinder on my truck. She ain't worth much on the open market. 16 yrs old.1990 Ford 7.3 SC LB 4x4 4.10 gears Lariat XLT.
I bought her in 99 for 12K, had a new motor with 17K and 100K on the total truck. Since then new driveshaft, front rotors, A/C switched to 134, Revo's with new wheels, starter, whole battery cable, and a kick ass stereo. Gemtop workmaster topper

New Motor now has 50K. She needs more umph to pull my 19 ft airstream in the Sierras. 5000lbs. The auto tranie #2 is beginning to slips some.
My worries is investing the 4K for the turbo/install and burning up the motor. I see the tranie going to cost some bucks one day too. Is this throwing money after bad? Not gonna get it back in this lifetime. Drive big blue about 7K miles a year.

OR I'm toying with finding a newer computerized 99-2001 7.3 PSD and begin the payment game again. See the PSD may offer better mileage, but with a new frontier of possible problems. Right now low mileage PSD of these years around here are going for 25-20K.

Worried about where the price of diesel is going too. Today paid 2.67/gal. who knows what stricter emissions will take the price.

Please I tried to bounce this stuff off my friends but they don't care/ or understand why I still have this old truck with its peeling Ford paint. Or why I like diesels like I do. I know the BOOB fellowship does understand. I'm torn in alliance, and sentimental too.

Appreciate your guidance.

Blossom

:angel:

For towing only 7 times per year... it really is hard to justify the price of a new truck.

Every time I think about buying a new truck... and folks here can attest I've thought about it more than once... I come back to the fact that I pull maybe 10-20 times a year AT MOST, and that a one ton pickup IS NOT an economical daily driver. The only time a one ton truck makes sense is when pulling... I'm pulling (well, when I'm not in school) about 10,000 pounds of horse trailer with mine, mixed terrain.

Did the transmission thing in 2004. Paid for the top-of-the-line rebuild when the rebuild done by the previous owner failed after 30,000 miles.

The engine has 200,000+. Turbo'd. I wouldn't worry too much about your engine... At 50,000, if the rebuild is any good, you shouldn't have to worry.

My advice is to keep the truck. Believe me, when you consider the payment for a new one you'll agree. In the meantime, sock away some $ every month for a new truck downpayment.

I have the bad paint issue too... Honestly, I'm considering a good refurb job for the truck rather than the purchase of a new one. Too many computers on the new stuff, too maintenance intensive (costs YOU money at the dealer when it needs repair), and too finicky (computers...)

Mike

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I put my Banks Sidewinder on @ 102000 miles on an '88. Didn't do the IP or injectors @ that time either. I've got my wastegate opened all the way & the fuel screw as far as I can get it to go. No motor problems due to the turbo install. I need to freshen up my fuel system purely due to the age of it, & I'm starting to see a decrease in performance. The turbo will help you. You didn't mention which tranny you have but I just rebuilt a C-6 & had it beefed up considerably. Cost me 1400 & change. I think an E4OD would be more but I don't know how much.

I guess the first thing you need to do is decide if you are going to keep your ride for a while or not. If you keep it, I would say do it. You won't regret it. Just my .02. Good luck.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Welcome and try and fill your info about the truck and where you are, maybe some will be able to go and help you locally. The turbo does not need to cost you 4k, it costed Me 1.4k new with my own work. the tranny you can get a bts (rebuild?) 3k (?) and forget about problems with the tranny.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTS transmissions were going for $3600 last I heard. Then you have to deal with shipping the trans to BTS/from BTS, then shipping their empty trans crate back.

Best to go to his shop in Arkansas... :)

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, let's address the slipping trans issue. There are things you can do to address that now, rather than burning up the transmission. If you have a C6 there are bands to adjust and other adjustments to make. E4OD, no band adjustments but a slew of sensors plus aftermarket devices to increase the line pressure so that the bands and clutches do not slip with every shift.

I had a 92 E250 with the E4OD that slipped with every shift. I was sure it was dead. By simply increasing the line pressure, I drove it for another 25K in hard city driving. The only reason it isn't still rolling is I replaced it with a better van.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Print out the following and take it to a trans shop and have them check the readings

Electronic Pressure Controler

Line pressure on the E4OD is critical and too much will quickly destroy it.
There is a "main line tap" in which you can hook up a gauge. The "tap" is on the driver's side, forward of the MLPS by about 4 inches.
Gear Range-------- at Idle Hot-----------at Stall Hot
-----------------------------------------------------
Park&Neutral--------55-70 PSI--------------N/A-------
Reverse-------------75-130 PSI-----------240-265 PSI
Drive---------------55-70 PSI------------156-174 PSI
2nd-----------------55-70 PSI------------156-174 PSI
1st----------------75-99 PSI------------157-186 PSI

IMPORTANT
If you suspect a line pressure problem, make sure you hook up a gauge and check line pressure.
Once you've verified line rise, you know that the TPS/FIPL, EPC Solenoid, controller, and all wires and connections between them are good. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes to do but can save hours of diagnostic time.

NOTE
On early model controllers, once this transmission shifts to 3rd gear and the LU clutch applies, line pressure will cut back to base line and you will not get line rise unless you go to passing gear. This is a normal condition.

Remove the trans. pan and look at underside of the solenoid pack. You'll see a solenoid with either a socket head screw or a torx screw protruding from the bottom. Clockwise increases line pressure and counterclockwise decreases line pressure. Be very cautious with this adjustment. No more than 1/8 of a turn. There is a pressure tap on the left (driver's) side of the transmission. This is not a bolt but rather a plug. This same plug may also be replaced with a sensor for a trans. temp. gauge

--mlps--manual lever position sensor--on left side of trans--shift lever goes through this sensor switch......

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 90 with an ATS turbo on it. I pull a 34 foot TT. Still a little slow up them hills, But I can afford to let it sit for those times when it is needed. $4K is way too steep for a turbo. you should be able to get one for $1500~2000 and possibly less if you can find used.
Pulling only a few times a year is a sign that a newer truck may not pay off, or you need to get out camping more often!
Sounds like a good rig in search of more power, if you like it, I would upgrade it. On thing I like better about mine, is there is a lot more room inside than the new trucks have.

Blossom

Reaction score
well see what a good nights sleep will bring ya. thanks.

I'm tied into this truck b/c of the trailer. As my 92 Explorer V6 just doesn't have the mustard to pull it safely, even though its rated to 5300. (Another life lesson, don't listen to salesmen without researching to back up their statements.)

The former owner cooked the first motor pulling a 25 ft fiver out of Austin Tx had a ATS turbo set up with transmission controller. He put in the new motor, and a 5 core radiator, and sold blue me. I put an additional tranie cooler on it. Over kill maybe, but doesn't hurt.

This isn't my everyday vehicle, it sit around. Used mostly to go for weekend runs of dog training, (retrievers) deer hunting, pulling my trailer to traditional archery shoots, or labrador hunt tests. Last August 3 trips to Reno, at 30 mph over Donner Pass sucked. Scary too, going so slow. So far this year we've gone to LA, next month, March and April are the heaviest use with trips to Oregon, Reno, SLC, and Santa Barbara. I use to do these things alone, hook up my trailer, etc. I'm more than capable. Yet I'm waffting now, and I know its cause of a recent break up of a 6 yr relationship. i know part of my worry is not having him along on the trips to "take care of things" I have a AAA card, and a cell phone, (and a .357) but its aren't the same.

I dread payments just like the next person.
To avoid immediate repair of the tranie I will not pull the trailer, and stay in motels, except for Santa Barbara. The trannie only slips, like a short shuffle off the line with the trailer. Works fine by itself. Thanks OkieGringo for the information. I will use it. Someone said get a BTS, can't see putting 4K into a transmission too.

The total charge of 4K for the turbo includes installation. at 90/hr at independent garage. Lowest I've seen for the banks is 2400 on the web.

My truck topper is so sweet, wing windows, with sliders, double back doors, a steal when I paid 900 for it with the bed drawers and bird launchers. New a gemtop with all the same options would be 3000. Made specifically for the 87-91 body style. the LB fits the the bed drawers. Each thing that makes my truck so cool costs alot to replace on a new one.
I'm trying to justify rebuilding this one. I don't know what to do. Its I'm dammed if I do or if I don't. Phoey!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder how much a ZF-5 conversion would cost her. Anyone??

Might be a solution to the transmission issues... but we need to see what her transmission shop says about the line pressure stuff.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blossom,

The ZF-5 is a popular MANUAL replacement transmission for folks who currently have automatic (E4OD) transmissions like what your truck has now.

Folks get tired of paying for expensive automatic rebuilds...

If you'd consider going to a handshaker, then the ZF-5 conversion might be a way to get you a good, reliable transmission for a price you're willing to pay--assuming your current automatic is in truly bad shape.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
4k for a turbo and installation, maybe but you can do a lot better. I like the Hypermax much better but that's Me. Huff I think he is on CA, he is a HY dealer with good prices and excellent! service, some times I think he comes around this forum. Anyway there are lots of guys that can get turbo installed for you around there, just get enough burgers, juice and beer for the end :Sly , I would but CA is too far from MD.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modesto's not too horribly far from the Bay Area...if there's anything I can do, just yell out :cool

For the record, especially since you don't drive the truck that much, I would strongly recommend keeping what you have.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Maybe a Monster Box trans would be just the trans for you. Its made by Jaspers Automotive in Indiana and from what I have found its stronger than a BTS. Its an E4OD just like what you have now. I think the cost is about $3400.00 and any shop that Jaspers has across the U.S. can install it for you. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online