Help me decide, E4OD vs ZF5

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree and if selling it was important then that would certainly be a plus for the ZF. But I don't intend to ever sell this rig.

Also, I think if you were so foolish as to sell such a clean and rare truck, a potential educated buyer would be happy with whatever tranny the truck came with.
Awesome ride by the way!

pafixitman

Reaction score
I think I can safely say that Fordf250hdxlt is the biggest fan of the E4OD on this board.

I have never driven a zf5 IDI so I have no comparison to make. My dually was a E4OD. I forget the brand name for the modified solenoid I had in that truck. Shifts were on the firm side. Biggest problem I had with that tranny was the PO's butcher job of the lines to install the cooler. Divorce happened and the repair did not.

My current truck is a E4OD with Banks trans command and a gear vendor overdrive. I wish I had this set up in the dually. It shifts as smooth as glass. Bit harder when the GV kicks in.

A properly built, cooled and maintained E4OD can be trouble free. No different than the starting system on these trucks.

IMHO preference is the biggest deciding factor.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep he is definitely the #1 fan LOL

As said before it's personal preference. If you have some good understanding of electrical systems you can usually diagnose an e40d pretty easy. You say the wife won't drive a standard, is that a positive or negative against the zf5? You decide :joker:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did I ever tell you guys,how much I like the D50,TTB? :D

full

Daryl4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome ride by the way!
Thank you.

Also, I think if you were so foolish as to sell such a clean and rare truck, a potential educated buyer would be happy with whatever tranny the truck came with.
I completely agree, 2 weeks ago today I was that potential buyer, I didn't care one bit what tranny was in it. In fact before seeing it and frankly before deciding to buy it I'd assumed it was a C6. But if selling it was a factor a D60 IDI ZF5 Centurion Bronco is such a rare and desired rig it would command a decent price bump. But... that said these suckers surprisingly don't sell fast either, not enough people know what they are to know they should want one. And they do command about two to three times the money compared to an identical crew cab truck. Case in point this rig was for a time owned by Daryl Hannah, took her about 4 years to sell it. Mostly cause she or the guy selling it for her were asking too much and apparently he was very hard to deal with. But even the guy I bought it from, his add was up for a couple months before I stumbled on it.

Ohh and rare yes, clean no, that pic does a great job hiding the issues. Floor and roof are rusted through, the interior is trashed, wiring is hacked, didn't even come with keys, etc. etc. If it was anything else it'd likely be a parts truck.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad for you then but,that's great for us.We like build threads.:D

Daryl4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, somewhat ironically one of the things I said in this thread was that I was worried about driving with an injury. Well 2 days ago at work I injured my right back/shoulder. If I'd had to shift to get home each shift would have been painful. Better now but highlighted one big reason for an auto. The ability to drive with one foot and one hand.

Did remind me of another project I'd like to tackle soon on this thing. Putting it on air bags so I can lower it for getting in and out, loading, etc. Getting in with my shoulder f'd sucked. That's a big project though in these, have to rework the suspension on both ends so has to wait.

Been a crazy couple days, yesterday I got rear-ended. No damage to me, his car totaled. I sure do like driving these big sturdy rigs with big sturdy bumpers.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As said before it's personal preference. If you have some good understanding of electrical systems you can usually diagnose an e40d pretty easy. You say the wife won't drive a standard, is that a positive or negative against the zf5? You decide :joker:

Well when mine was driveable, it was definitely a plus for me!

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great reply...

Curious what your other two are. I've had this thought in the back of my head that a built 700R4 would be pretty good.

I've just started building my Allison 1000 6 spd, diesel transmission. The specs for this transmission when modified are formidable, you are looking at a million mile gearbox when properly maintained, especially when upgraded. The other transmission is the Ford 6R140 HD Torqshift.

I'm tech savvy enough, and do like the idea of tuning with my laptop. Wouldn't be my first time either. In the past I've done a fair amount of custom engine management and transmission control tuning that way. Had great success with it in the past and I look forward to it again to a point. I ordered the Baumann this morning, but that's about as electrical dependent as I think I wanna go on this rig, also a big fan of K.I.S.S. when it comes to the things I rely on. To my line of thinking if I'm going to have an E4OD then the Baumann is about as bulletproof as it's gunna get controller wise.
Great news. Expect a lot, you will not be disappointed. Why can't the big manufacturer's have this as a factory item?

Looks like that's going to be coming up on my to-do list. There's only two items on this rig I haven't rebuilt(in other rigs) or are at least very confident with. Automatic transmissions and the IP. Both are on my list of things to learn and do.

This new Quick4 has even more cool stuff, looking forward to it.
That's what I hear, funny, after the honeymoon period I've gone full circle back to the settings the guy set up with my controller. He knows his stuff. Also, I recommend installing the TransGo Tugger shift kit, this really refines the shifting when used in conjunction with the controller. I can bang some hard shifts when wanted, it's pretty impressive.

Of course, let's see if I can get it to work. This pic is from the sale ad, nice pic. Still looks like that except I removed the rubber side molding, it was missing parts and falling off anyway, that and never been a fan. I'll get more pics up soon.. I hope.
Wow! Looking good, hope you realize what you've got. lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I can safely say that Fordf250hdxlt is the biggest fan of the E4OD on this board.
Before reading this thread, I never thought I'd see someone defending the E4DOA :shocked: LOL

I'll admit that I'd take an E4DOA over a C6, partially due to the overdrive gear and partially due to the torque converter lockup...but, I would only go E4DOA after spending a good chunk of change to rebuild and beef it up, and I'd only do that with a gun to my head or if my left leg's been amputated.

For the record, I drive a clutch in SF Bay Area traffic all the time, including when my hip's bugging me.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We knew it was happening, but the actual extent of three pedal abandonment remained somewhat elusive. It was more of a feeling than a grim statistical representation. Now we have a number, and it’s dismal.

The Los Angeles Times reports that an Edmunds study has shown that that less than 3 percent of all cars sold in the U.S. come with the transmission that many — ironically — still refer to as a “standard.”

The Manual Transmission is Almost Dead - The Truth About Cars

For the record, I drive a clutch in SF Bay Area traffic all the time, including when my hip's bugging me.

That's hard enough with an auto.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We knew it was happening, but the actual extent of three pedal abandonment remained somewhat elusive. It was more of a feeling than a grim statistical representation. Now we have a number, and it’s dismal.

The Los Angeles Times reports that an Edmunds study has shown that that less than 3 percent of all cars sold in the U.S. come with the transmission that many — ironically — still refer to as a “standard.”

The Manual Transmission is Almost Dead - The Truth About Cars

That's hard enough with an auto.

This is why I take pride in my 5 manual vehicles lol. I actually just got this tattoo last night, they said it will fade quickly with the way I work but for 20$ I thought it was pretty cool
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk