Help identifying switches

wvredxj

Reaction score
Hey guys, i bought another project truck the other day, and i am having a hard time figuring out where these plugs go, or what they are.
I am missing some panels in the interior so i am kinda in the dark on some of them. The aux tank switch is gone, and the radio, but i believe everything else is there. The truck does run.

Attachments

• IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    867.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    865.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1844.JPG
    IMG_1844.JPG
    898.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 20

wvredxj

Reaction score
Number 4 is the one with two plugs under the steering column. The first picture is the gray one 4 prong that is middle of dash, behind ash tray kinda.

gandalf

Reaction score
You'll get a better, quicker, more focused, and more informed answer if you give more information.

Tell us about the truck. Is it a Ford diesel? What year? F-250? F-350? What equipment does it have, what options?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
1st pic is the buzz box. Like key/seatbelt/lights on buzzer. 7 prong
2nd does look like trailer brake. 6 prong
3rd is brake light switch. 2 prong
4th with the paper clip is the clutch interlock switch for cruise and starting. 4 prong
Not sure the other two.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

wvredxj

Reaction score
You'll get a better, quicker, more focused, and more informed answer if you give more information.

Tell us about the truck. Is it a Ford diesel? What year? F-250? F-350? What equipment does it have, what options?

I am sorry, truck is a 1992 f350 7.3l zf 5speed 4wd.

wvredxj

Reaction score
1st pic is the buzz box. Like key/seatbelt/lights on buzzer. 7 prong
2nd does look like trailer brake. 6 prong
3rd is brake light switch. 2 prong
4th with the paper clip is the clutch interlock switch for cruise and starting. 4 prong
Not sure the other two.
Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Where would the first plug go into? Where is the buzzer/light sensor?
In the 4th pic off to the right there is a 4 prong plug in the center of the dash against the firewall, any idea's there? I finally figured out the clutch switch/truck doesn't have the clutch pedal sensor thats the reason for the paper clip.

Does the brake control sensor suppose to have 4 or 6 prongs? And anyone know how many plugs plug into aux fuel switch?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome fellow hillbilly!

The fuel selector switch has 6 pins in the back of it I believe. It is a double pole, double throw switch. FWIW that's what the top middle looks like to me. The fastest way to get at this is probably via wire colors. Any haynes or similar manual ought to have wire diagrams in it. These things aren't that complicated.

Good luck.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what i have found in the 1992 electrical vacuum troubleshooting manual, and my own truck.

#1 is the door chime/buzzer.

You must be registered for see images attach

#2 is the fuel selector switch.

You must be registered for see images attach

#3 goes to the brake light switch mounted on the brake pedal where the booster hooks to it. i couldn't really get a good picture of it.

#4, 5, and 6, all seem to go to steering column things. I identified the 4 prong connector with the blue and black wires, it plugs in to another wire coming from the bottom of the steering column. It goes to the "slip ring" assembly.(steering wheel controls for cruise and horn)

the other two connect to things up by the Multi-function switch deeper in the column than I could get any decent photos.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pic #1 If it has a Black--White--Red--Blue wires, it's the brake controller connector.

I didn't see any "Switches" looks like there all "Connectors. :rolleyes: :D

wvredxj

Reaction score
Thanks so much Cpdenton. That was what i needed. I cannot find the plugs on the column that the cruise/horn plug goes too. There are two connectors on the bottom of the column, but none of the loose plugs will connect. Horn does not work, not a big deal though.

Where is the door buzzer/dome light connector for me to plug into? Driver kick board?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The buzzer connects... Well, it's hard to explain. Just to the right of the accelerator pedal, up under the dash, there is a computer looking thing called the speed control amplifier. It has two connectors that plug into the bottome part of it. The buzzer is actually bolted in on the firewall side of that speed control amplifier, so basically, up behind it, if it's there.. Mine has been plundered by a previous owner.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have blinkers and hazard lights? Wipers?

I'm kind of wondering if a few of those might be aftermarket add ons. (Picture 4)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger