Help, front axle

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just bought a 1997 2500 4x4 and am trying to replace brakes on front end. How in the sam hell do the front rotors come off? I've pulled the cotter pin and backed off the center nut, caliper is off and I've beat on the rotor a little. I dont wanna keep beatn' on the rotor if there is more to it.

Please Help :confused:

Thanks,

Jeremy

2500cummins

Reaction score
It has a one piece non servicable bearing and hub assembly thats held on by four bolts from the back of the steering knuckle. The rotor is behind the hub so you will need to remove the whole thing, remove the large axle nut and back out the four retaining bolts. I've had good luck using a socket on the bolts, with the bolts screwed part way in, to hammer the hub out, others have used the socket and turned the steering to force the bearing out. If you are only turning the rotors some claim they should be done on the truck.

Last edited:

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Thanks for the help man. As usual this hub design has been WAY over engineered. Why cant people just keep things simple? -cuss

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Well I did manage to get the hub off last night with a puller. Pounded out the old studs, threw a new rotor on, and now I need to press the studs in the new rotor because hammering them in just aint gonna do it.
Thanks for for help with this one, I'm sure I'll have more questions later on about other problems that may arise....so thank's in advance.

Later,
Jeremy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigal093

Members online