HELP!!! BROKE DOWN 630 MILES FROM HOME!!!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really need either to add a turbo or go with a detuned injector pump. Ford and IH actually made a high altitude version of the pump. You're asking a lot out of this thing, not easy for a NA IDI. It doesn't sound like you want to or can afford to sink a lot of money into this truck, I kind of think you should either rent/borrow/buy a turbo IDI truck, a newer(turbo) diesel or a gasser. It sounds like we'd never see a problem with this truck on the flat lands but there is not as much O2 in the air up there. If you want to keep that 7.3 make sure your cooling system isn't hurt(blown head gasket) pressure test it...you can get the tool from autozone or similar and put a deposit down, the final cost will be zero unless you break or lose it, and then get a HA injection pump. This will cost you about 25HP but it will keep your EGTs from getting too out of hand, I suppose you could also turn down a stock pump a flat or two from stock calibration and receive the same effect. It probably does need a new pump, that hard start hot is from the hydraulic head swelling inside of the pump. Lastly I'd get a mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauge, the ones you get a Walmart as well as cheaper brands like Sunpro(cheap but pretty good) run 10-20 bucks. You want less than 220 or so pulling a grade and stay in the 192-212 range most of the time. The overheat warning light comes on at 243 but I doubt you'd want to go that far with it. Good luck getting moved, moving across town is bad enough but this...I don't envy you. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the timing is off. If I was to venture a guess, sounds like the timing is retarded. If I remember right retarted timing causes high EGT's, no to little black smoke, more like whitish gray smoke, and bad fuel economy. I think that all pumps retard the timing as they age. If I were you I would do like others said, find yourself a new/reman pump and throw the puppy on there. Also...maybe try to figure out how to rig up a better intake...I know its crowded in there, but if you bought the thing just for this trip, then maybe you wouldnt mind cutting part of the grille out so that you could get better airflor :dunno . I would dump that stock exhaust, cut it off after the Y-pipe, then throw on a glasspack muffler, and turn the exhaust outside towards the passenger side some, so that you can see the smoke and see what color, how much smoke, ect...there is. Thats just me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hectorwithinjectors in Phenoix Az. has the pumps for around $300.00. Check out his Ebay site.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll echo the comments of others, that your high EGT's are fuel system related. Since you pulled that engine from the junk yard, I'd say your first priority is to get a rebuilt pump and injectors in that rig. See the link in my sig for a how-to. Get it timed by somebody who has the right tool and knows how to use it. That will fix most of your problems. The other thing you absolutely need is an auxiliary trans cooler for that C6. They really can't live happily without one. I'd suggest the B&M one that comes with a fan attached to it. Do that, and this truck will be cherry.

JourneymanD

Reaction score
. The other thing you absolutely need is an auxiliary trans cooler for that C6. They really can't live happily without one. I'd suggest the B&M one that comes with a fan attached to it. Do that, and this truck will be cherry.

thanks agnem...

I already have a 35k gvwr cooler on it. also have trans temp, oil temp, and h2o temp senders installed, but didn't get the gages hooked up yet... ran outta time.

The truck is sitting in Twin Falls, and as of this post, i am sitting at Boise airport flying back to Cali. I will be back up in a couple weeks, with a pump and injectors. A turbo would be nice, but because it is a E series, used kits are far and few between. if it was F series based, no prob. turbo kit would have to be new from hypermax, and at 2K$ it is too far out of reach for me now. what i spent on the engine, parts, and the cost of a turbo, i should have put a CTD under the hood. was easier to transplant what was there already in terms of time to completion vs. a total repower. I am sure i would be happier with the CTD repower though.

anyway, thanks a bunch for the help. this too shall pass so i have been told. just sucks getting past is all.

anybody else w/ opinions i would appreciate it. im kinda married to this truck though, and aside from the lack of room in the cab, and the EGT issues, the truck is in pretty good shape now that it has new tires, trans, rebuilt front end, load bags, etc... i gotta make it work, though i am trying to find a loaner truck for use on a couple of runs meanwhile.

thanks again all,
Dylan

JourneymanD

Reaction score
thankyou everybody

Yes, my situation sucks in a big way!!!

I have ordered a new IP and set of injectors from MWFI. they should beat me to the truck 4th of july weekend. I will be changing em out, and with any luck... keep your fingers crossed for me.

Does anybody think i may have hurt the engine? It still starts right away, and it runs smooth like it did the first time i lit it off. It has a little minor shudder when I run the idle up and hold it, but i was told it could be water in fuel or IP related. its not a miss, just a little stumble/shudder that drifts in and out randomly.

my concern is due to the fact the EGTs were around 1250(never higher) for a few moments while i was trying to get off the freeway.

I drove it for about 850 miles after that, and other then no power and high EGTs it seemed to be ok.

thanks guys.
dylan

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes, my situation sucks in a big way!!!

I have ordered a new IP and set of injectors from MWFI. they should beat me to the truck 4th of july weekend. I will be changing em out, and with any luck... keep your fingers crossed for me.

Does anybody think i may have hurt the engine? It still starts right away, and it runs smooth like it did the first time i lit it off. It has a little minor shudder when I run the idle up and hold it, but i was told it could be water in fuel or IP related. its not a miss, just a little stumble/shudder that drifts in and out randomly.

my concern is due to the fact the EGTs were around 1250(never higher) for a few moments while i was trying to get off the freeway.

I drove it for about 850 miles after that, and other then no power and high EGTs it seemed to be ok.

thanks guys.
dylan

It should be fine. Just as long as you didnt go 1250* for over a minute I would say all is good. I bet that stumble is IP related.

JourneymanD

Reaction score
It should be fine. Just as long as you didnt go 1250* for over a minute I would say all is good. I bet that stumble is IP related.

Well, I cant say for sure how long it was... it was late, i was tired/frustrated and it just seemed like forever trying to nurse it up the hill... you know how things get when your truck buckles to it's knees and all you can to is swear or pray, and neither seems to do much good... may have been 2 or 3 mins... i don't know for sure. tried downshifting and letting up on her, and all she would do was cry....

Dylan

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people would tell you it could handle 1250 all day, and that may be true in an ideal world when all the oil jets work, your pyro is spot on accurate, everything perfect. Its hard to advise that in good conscience though cause that really is not good on the motor long term. Its unlikely you messed up your motor with just a few moments of that, many people without pyros have one it and been blissfully ignorant. I'd be worried if you were talking about a chuiffing or popping through the exhaust or intake, would be a burned valve.

JourneymanD

Reaction score
I'd be worried if you were talking about a chuiffing or popping through the exhaust or intake, would be a burned valve.

no chuffing or popping... I been to both ends of the beast to listen, and all sounds OK except for the shudder when i run the idle up. and at that, it's only a minor little shudder that seems to be inconsistent and random.

I also took the air cleaner off, and i don't have any noises of concern at the intake. the old engine had a burnt intake valve, but you couldn't hear it with the air cleaner on.

the only other thing of concern is that the bottom of the air cleaner was pretty wet with oil... not dripping, but a pretty fair coat, and the intake horn/port was pretty wet as well, but the CDR doesn't seem to pop or belch when running idle up and down. might be normal under my circumstances... i just don't have the experience to know for sure.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might have a little too much blowby but for your purposes this shouln't be a big worry, just keep an eye on your oil. I;m confident that the slight miss you describe is something other than a serious engine problem. Proper timing and/or a new IP might solve it. If not I'd just ignore it.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks agnem...

I already have a 35k gvwr cooler on it. also have trans temp, oil temp, and h2o temp senders installed, but didn't get the gages hooked up yet... ran outta time.

The truck is sitting in Twin Falls, and as of this post, i am sitting at Boise airport flying back to Cali. I will be back up in a couple weeks, with a pump and injectors. A turbo would be nice, but because it is a E series, used kits are far and few between. if it was F series based, no prob. turbo kit would have to be new from hypermax, and at 2K$ it is too far out of reach for me now. what i spent on the engine, parts, and the cost of a turbo, i should have put a CTD under the hood. was easier to transplant what was there already in terms of time to completion vs. a total repower. I am sure i would be happier with the CTD repower though.

anyway, thanks a bunch for the help. this too shall pass so i have been told. just sucks getting past is all.

anybody else w/ opinions i would appreciate it. im kinda married to this truck though, and aside from the lack of room in the cab, and the EGT issues, the truck is in pretty good shape now that it has new tires, trans, rebuilt front end, load bags, etc... i gotta make it work, though i am trying to find a loaner truck for use on a couple of runs meanwhile.

thanks again all,
Dylan

Don't forget to get a new fuel-return kit. You'll need it for the installation of the fuel injectors.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I had an Injection pump go bad and did excartly what yours is. It over fueled horrably EGT of 300 @ idle is way high. I would say you need a pump and a set of injectors.

Wouldn't a pump that overfuels at idle just make the engine run higher RPMs? The only thing that is metered is fuel... The only time you can constantly overfuel is while the engine is geared down and it can't rev high enough to pull in enough air or there is just an air restriction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online