Hello All

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I would introduce myself.

I've been visiting your forum from time to time wondering what I could do to my truck but had to face the fact that it was my daily driver and I just couldn't take the chance of messing something up. Well, today I just picked up an '87 F250 with a 6.9 and a 4 speed manual. Gutless as all get out and needs lots of tinkering but I will get there. The previous owner turned down the injection pump:eek: to get better mileage. So, right after I replace the starter and fix the brakes, I'm eying a new pump and injectors. I'd love a turbo but that's not in the budget right now.

Anyway, I'm still not sure of all of the particulars of my new toy yet but I look forward to getting good ideas and advice from you guys.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I love the brick noses, nice to see another one in... seemingly... good hands :)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB, the finest site on the planet for info on these trucks, there isnt a more comprehensive library of minds and known facts anywhere.

Sounds like you got your wish of being able to work on a truck and keep the daily driver...well we can help with both here!

Sit back enjoy the site, ask lots of questions before doing anything and we'll help best we can. Lots of members all over the place, great place for parts swaps and purhcases, Russ, AKA Type 4 is in your state, sells good injectors and a cam, Mel (Agnem) does the Moose products... pumps and injectors, Jason (Freebird01) does some firewall reinforcing plates and a few other things....we gotcha covered!

POST LOTS of pics, we are all into seeing others work!

Again

Welcome

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the best forum for free information about these trucks and engines. If you can think up a problem its already been done and the repairs have been proven here. Very seldom does a "new issue" come up here but when they do we all cjip in with help. this is a friendly forum mostly like a family place. Enjoy the forum and please ask before you go wrenching. That way we can help you to understand why the right way seems like the hard way of doing something works so well.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... Very seldom does a "new issue" come up here ....but when they do we all cjip in with help......
The only new issue is Gary using the word HYPERLINK and a infection on his computer of sorts....LOL but him using that word...it's new for sure! ROFL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C.J.

Welcome to OB. Glad to have you here. Should be a fun project. Keep us up to date on the progress/changes.

Heath

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've hear turning up a flat gets better mpg not down.

I've got white and blue smoke. No black smoke. Got a couple of issues to deal with but for right now I'm doing the small stuff that I'm comfortable with. Checkin fuses, changed out the starter and relay, ignition module (The one above the steering column, not fun BTW). Gonna do the brakes within a week or 2 and I have a local fellow that has done a lot of work on these IDI's lined up to put in a turned up pump, BB injectors and glow plugs not to mention advance the timing a bit.

Side note: I took my daily driver (7.3 idi box truck) down to Oregon Fuel Injection in Eugene to have the timing set and what a difference that one small adjustment will make in power and MPG.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good list of things to do to your truck. You will be happy with the IP being turned up and fresh BB squirters in there. It is also a good thing you are getting your equipment timed properly. This is where power and mileage are improved quite a bit.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great to hear that OFI will do timing work. If you don't mind me asking, what do they charge for that service?

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I paid right around $225 but I had a few other issues as well and I happened to be working in Eugene that day. I took it there because they pull the glow plug and insert the probe verses my local mechanic timing things by ear and getting it 'Close Enough'. I put 30K a year on my work truck and I guarantee that $225 has been made up for in increased mileage. The added power is just a bonus for me.

I don't know much about much but they seemed like a real professional outfit.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The type of timing they did for you is called luminosity probe timing. This probe sees the ignition flame flash and the timing is done from that flash. Its done at 1400 rpm and its all in retarded degrees of timing. It usually is around 2 degrees retarded and that equals to around 9 degrees advanced. Both pluse and lumi timing are concidered to be the same. Its just done differantly. I use the pluse timing method because I just connect two probes and never need to remove the glow plug. The lumi timing method also requires you to know what the diesel fuel ctane rating is too. Thats where the hydrometer is needed. Glad you found a place to time these engines too...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I paid right around $225 but I had a few other issues as well and I happened to be working in Eugene that day. I took it there because they pull the glow plug and insert the probe verses my local mechanic timing things by ear and getting it 'Close Enough'. I put 30K a year on my work truck and I guarantee that $225 has been made up for in increased mileage. The added power is just a bonus for me.

I don't know much about much but they seemed like a real professional outfit.
Yes, timing by ear for 50 bucks or what ever he would charge is just burning money, a real shop would that has a meter and can time properly is going to charge accordingly and in all seriousness, that is money well spent so you find!

It's a good thing you have a shop you can rely on for service such as timing, now I wonder if they can POP test the injectors too.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Welcome to THE place to be for us Ford IDI nuts, C.J.. I have learned SO much from this group in the last 6 months.

Engine coming off the stand and back in on Tuesday, after head gaskets, head TLC, ARP studs, injectors, IP, CDR, YIKES!

$200+ more sounds like a lot, but I know correct timing will make the most of the investment I'm making. ;Sweet

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome to Oilburners. Here you will find good info on your truck, enjoy;Sweet From what I understand, OFI has a pretty good reputation, a nice little bonus to have close to home.