Heim mod fun

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took care of it this weekend. original rod end had 1/4 of material worn off it, and the previous owner put a pair of vice grips to hold it on. It did work great though, for at least 2.5 Years. I certainly wasn't very happy with Ford's engineers when I was taking care of it though.

I went to the junkyard to get some "new" parts, so the truck wouldn't be down for too long, and of course, the gassers use different parts than the diesel. They use a threaded rod from the master instead of a solid, non-adjustable one. Different master too, though only just enough to screw you. Unfortunately, I didn't notice until I had already assembled the new setup on the bench. So changing out the rod was fun. it involved making my own tool to release the old rod.

So of course, I had to re-clock the new pivot arm since I had to make up for the travel lost using the heim(In this setup) I drove the rod all the way into the heim. I will probably be making a new rod that has more adjustment to make sure the clutch is fully dis-engaged, but I think it is damn close right now. No pictures of the threaded rod, unfortunately.

Also, the neutral safety switch was fun. NOT! (That's also different from the gasser I took apart.)
You must be registered for see images attach

bad angle on the original.

My current version, probably not the last.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
It is a hollow ball joint/ rod end. makes linkages easy to assemble. The only downside is that they have high wear characteristics, so you have to lubricate or replace them pretty often. One result of having no rubber boot to cover, like factory stuff.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love when he mentions rod deformation at 3:24 in there. Just for grins, I took a picture of what I replaced, right next to an almost new one.