Heater problems

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the temps hit -40, I realized that my heater wasn't working. '89 crewcab, XLT model with factory air.

The little vacuum actuator which shuts off the air through the heater core wasn't getting vacuum, wasn't opening. I have zip-tied it open now and I'm again getting a little heat, so that's OK for now.

The bigger problem is that the fan motor only has one speed, and that's slow! I can't get enough hot air and the windows and windshield ice up on the inside. I suspect it's the speed control resistors. Where are they? Behind the dash?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be under the hood, mounted in heater box. LMC usually has them. You can likely find an illustration on their website.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan switch is definitely cooked, and the local parts store will have one for me tomorrow. LMC does have an illustration of the heater components, but can't really tell where to look for the resistor from that. With any luck the fan switch will be the only thing I have to replace.

From the LMC diagram, it looks as if the flappers in the ducts are controlled by the vacuum, and from looking inside the dash, it looks as if there is a cable which controls the flow of water through the heater core.
Edited to add:
I found the resistors. They are indeed under the hood, inside the heater box, below and inboard of the blower motor. The resistors are good, so just changing the burned up switch should be all it takes.

Last edited:

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 89 extended cab truck has heater hoses that run unimpeded from the passenger side head to the front of the motor: no shut off valve!?!?!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 has the Heater Hoses connect to the Heater Core at the Fire Wall. No Coolant valve/Cable. Maybe it was changed in later trucks?

One thing that can be a big problem, is the Hinge on the Blend door breaks and the cold out side air cannot be shut off.
Here is a thread and also good pictures of the guts of the Heat/AC Box.

This thread may be useful, but truck years before yours.

Another one I saved.

I doubt but dont`t know for sure, but I doubt Ford changed too much in the way the Heater/AC box was designed from 80 - 94 or? Maybe the front controls.

Hope this helps.

Goat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7