Heater hose fittings

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing the vacuum pump and while I'm there I want to delete heater lines that went to the rear heater.
Right now the rear heater is long gone and the hose is looped from the top of the water pump to the rear of the engine. I'd like to have plugs to replace the hose fittings w/ before I drain the coolant and replace it w/ new.
Does anyone know what size they would be?

www.instagram.com/DirtTrackTravelers

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rear heater is not going to be use why don't you just install new hoses from the engine to front heater and be done with any extra fittings.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
1/2" npt, thank you.

And yes, it would be a great place to add in a coolant filter, but unlike all you truck guys they didn't give us much in the way of extra space up front. I am going to save the fittings that I take out (if they are still good) and once my to-do list decreases fill figure out some good spot, probably on the frame, for such a thing and add one in. :-]

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Are you using it as an RV? If you have fresh plumbing, consider keeping the heater hose lines and hook them to an RV water heater with a heat exchanger. My newer water heater has the comnections for it but no hoses going to them. Your water would get heated for free from engine heat.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Cubey - we are. It was first built out as a rental around 10 years ago, that fell through and it got used once or twice a year for half a dozen years, then it was stored for 3 years and the packrats moved in and did a number on it. Now my lady is moving into it and I'll be doing a major remodel on it to turn it into a full time live in rig for her.
If there's interest I'll post the build thread up here as well as on my site.
www.pbase.com/lowtech9/transform

I have plans to change the tank water heater to a tankless. I'm unfamiliar w/ the ones you are talking about.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cubey - we are. It was first built out as a rental around 10 years ago, that fell through and it got used once or twice a year for half a dozen years, then it was stored for 3 years and the packrats moved in and did a number on it. Now my lady is moving into it and I'll be doing a major remodel on it to turn it into a full time live in rig for her.

I have plans to change the tank water heater to a tankless. I'm unfamiliar w/ the ones you are talking about.

I've perused your site, you've got some great pictures and cool vehicles!
I'd love to follow your build thread!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

I had a 78 Dodge with a marine water heater (120V only, with engine heat exchanger).

This pic is basically the same as my current RV water heater. Those are two hose connections for sending engine coolant through. It radiates hot coolant heat into the water to heat it as it passes through.

You must be registered for see images attach

Not all models have that feature though. Here is one that lacks it:

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726