Headlight mod

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished this mod and in response to another's question about the two #87 posts, they are not the same. When power is off to the lights, the center #87 post is hot, and the outer #87 post is off. Do not use the center post. Use only the outer #87 post and all works fine. Of course I learned about this after all was finished and in place, switch off and lights on. :rotflmao

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There are two identical looking relays, one has TWO 87 terminals, and the other has an 87 and an 87A.

The TWO 87 terminals are interchangeable, you can use either, or both, to achieve the same results.

The much more common relay has an 87, and an 87A, terminal; the 87 is hot with the relay energized, and the 87A is hot when the relay is OFF.

I honestly can't think of over a couple applications for the more common 87/87A relay, and I can think of numerous uses for the less common 87/87 relay.:dunno

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There are two identical looking relays, one has TWO 87 terminals, and the other has an 87 and an 87A.

The TWO 87 terminals are interchangeable, you can use either, or both, to achieve the same results.

The much more common relay has an 87, and an 87A, terminal; the 87 is hot with the relay energized, and the 87A is hot when the relay is OFF.

I honestly can't think of over a couple applications for the more common 87/87A relay, and I can think of numerous uses for the less common 87/87 relay.:dunno

All of the relays I have in my box have 87/87. No letter designation to differentiate. When not energized, the center 87 is hot and the outer 87 is dead. They swap conditions when the relay is energized. It would be nicew if a schematic of the relay was printed on the shell as is with more expensive relays.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did the headlight mod, works great. both of my 87 are off when switched off
gunnie