head gasket types/brands

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres only two kits available. Fel-pro and victor reinz. Both are good but vr are a little thinner, maybe slightly better and what ford used i think. But members use both with great results.

Theres been rumors for a long time about wire ring and mls kits. Hypermax is supposedly a out to try, they had made c-ring gaskets before. But none have surfaced yet. Companies are willing but there are costs. Found one that would but havent had time or motivation for it since we dont really need MLS gaskets. Studs are usually enough for 99.9% of idi owners with turbos.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Felpro are the thickest gasket made so I'm told. They are around 10 thousands thicker than stock. I have never had any issue with using them on all my stuff.

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
so fel-pro is the way to go? is it okay to order them off ebay or am i better off going to auto parts store? is there any type of sealer i should use for the valve cover gasket.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i used fel pro when i just re-did mine. you can get an entire upper end reseal kit and intake mani gasket/valley pan for about $130 from rock auto.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure that would cause almost instant head gasket blow out. deck the pistons if you want to reduce comp. or get a cam that better suits high boost/performance engines.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
No, Do not double up the gaskets!! Are you turbo-ing your engine? Is that why you are after lower compression?

With the Felpro gaskets being slightly thicker; are they less prone to future failure? Are they thick enough to drop compression at all?
I have never had a victor-reinz set in my hands so I can't coment on them

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
No, Do not double up the gaskets!! Are you turbo-ing your engine? Is that why you are after lower compression?

With the Felpro gaskets being slightly thicker; are they less prone to future failure? Are they thick enough to drop compression at all?
I have never had a victor-reinz set in my hands so I can't coment on them

THe VR are top shelf, THey also make the factory gaskets ( and the factory gaskets for just about every high end diesel engine and gas engine manufacturer in teh world )
more thickness in a diesel would not equal extra strength with the kind of pressures involved
If you want a leak free installation, get a set of VR gaskets and shoot them down with about 3 light coats of spray hylomar on each side and carefully install. You will have a trouble free engine( at least your head gaskets ) it's an old trick we did for years on foreign diesels and now most of the fancy euro diesels come from teh factory with their HGs treated that way

Decking your heads on a diesel like this is not going to change your compression. THat only works on gas engines with domes in the cylinders heads. The valves are mounted flush with the head deck on these critters THe only recession is where teh valve themselves recess into teh seats and you are not going to gain enough there milling teh head to make a measurable difference in compression ( if you do it means your valves are sucked up WAY too far and it's time for some major surgery on those heads )