Head Gasket, aviation gasket eliminator?

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most of the air cooled Volkswagen engines do not use head gaskets. I've built an air cooled Porsche engine with no head gaskets. However they are not diesel compression ratios and do not have oil or coolant to deal with.

But don't they use a copper ring between the cylinder and head? If so, then that is the head gasket.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tried and true works. i.e. the original gaskets - I would focus on other mods instead that are known performance and longevity friends. Moose pump and moose misters, etc. - good luck!

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the original poster.....forget about decking the pistons, shorter pushrods, etc, etc.....your "no head gasket" idea will never work. It will leak compression, coolant, and oil from the word "go" and will go down hill from there.

The Ford Boss 429 had no "head gaskets" of the conventional kind but every cylinder did have a fire ring and all the coolant passages had o-rings. This engine was built, however, for one thing and one thing only....and that one thing was not going 500,000 miles (or even 100,000 miles).

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8v92 Detroit's have o rings and a fire ring son it can be done in a heavy duty diesel.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copper ring goes on the base of the barrel where it meets the case. My point was simply that metal on metal combustion sealing has been done quite successfully. Many two stroke engines use no head gasket. Just a rubber o-ring to keep coolant out.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copper ring goes on the base of the barrel where it meets the case. My point was simply that metal on metal combustion sealing has been done quite successfully. Many two stroke engines use no head gasket. Just a rubber o-ring to keep coolant out.

But your still using something between the head and block so no that's not metal on metal sealing.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is so hard to accept? AIR COOLED VW's did not come from the factory with head gaskets! Air cooled Porsche engines do not use head gaskets between the cylinder and head! Some modern 2 stroke snowmobiles do not use head gaskets! It is metal on metal at the cylinder to head connection! A case is the block. The barrel slides into the block. A copper seal is used here. or paper, to keep oil from leaking. The cylinder head to barrel uses no gasket. Look it up. Or keep arguing.

lilredtdi - good luck fitting that anywhere on an air cooled VW....

lilredtdi

Reaction score
No need to be a d*ck!

Look at posts 13 and 15. I replied because I thought you were commenting on my post. I have no idea how people using air cooled cars or lawnmowers to compare to the compression of a diesel. It is not relevant here EVEN if they do not use gaskets. Not the same animal. Now if you were making a diesel engine for space travel or something it may be machined to tolerances not needing a head gasket. That engine would be millions.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not being a ****. Again, my point is, as stated earlier, that metal to metal has been used to seal combustion pressures. In my above posts I also stated that I do not know how it would react to diesel compression ratios. The OP asked a question and the majority immediately shot him down. I was simply providing some validity to his question. However I know both the VW and the Porsche engines have been subjected to detonation. Detonation is thousands of times more powerful than normal combustion. It's usually the piston, rod, rod bearing, etc that fail. Not the head to cylinder connection in those motors. So maybe a diesel can or already has done the gasket-less trick.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that your mad.

Your comparison is stupid.

How can you compare a twisting bending 21.5 cr diesel v8 with a damn vw or sno mobile engine and claim that bring validity is well dumb.

But yet each example you give there is some paper o ring or copper seal somewhere so no they do not seal form a metal on metal seal.

Stick with what the op was talking about. Flat metal on flat metal with glue in between .

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My two stroke Kawasaki used a copper head gasket.
You can't compare air cooled to "water" cooled any day.
Especially not two stroke vs four stroke. The oil and coolant will create cold spots where the metal will be contracting while the rest is expanding, therefore it would create a leak without a gasket in there.

Lilredtdi- my lawnmower comparison was to prove it would NOT work. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online