Have you converted rear drum to disk brakes?

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit tired of all the adjustments and poor performance I get out of my rear drum brakes and am wondering if anyone has converted his truck to rear disks? If so, can I ask some questions?

-Who did you get the kit from?
-How do your new rear disk brakes perform?
-How many miles do you have on your rear disk brakes?
-My truck has rear ABS brakes. If I connect the disk brakes up will they work well as ABS brakes?
-I'm concerned about messing with something that is fine tuned as a brake system.
-Have you disconnected the ABS brakes (by removing the spring) How did the rear disks perform then?
-Do I need to change out any other parts of the brake system, like master cylinder?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for the answers/responses.

BigRedWeather

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
From the research I've done, the general consensus is that all of the "kits" suck because they use a small caliper. Most of them use the front caliper from a car. (Blackhawk)

This seemed to be the best option. (Read LOT of work) http://www.fordmann.com/F350.rear_disc_brakes.htm

Some people on here believe you need a new master and proportioning valves and yada yada yada. While others say to get the 1⅝ master and you'll be fine. (I've read the latter elsewhere also)

Aside from just adjustment problems, do you have hydroboost?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the best way to go would be a superduty axle swap. that way you get brakes that are rated for a heavy truck. h-boost would be a better bang for your buck kind of thing. most i have seen said they went back to drums and said the performance of the drums was WAY better than the discs.